Research Engineer – Hardware Design (Ref.04.21.19)
- IMPORTANT NOTE -
INL is actively working to mitigate the risk of CoVid-19 and is promoting protection measures within their community with impact in the regular activities. Ongoing and new R&S processes may have changes during this exceptional period. Please check the details in the job vacancy to keep track on any updates.
Research Engineer – Hardware Design (Ref.04.21.19)
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Number of Vacancies: 1
Group/Unit: Systems Engineering
Required Education: MSc degree
Employment Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 20 months
Open Date for Applications: May 3rd, 2021
Closing Date for Applications: October 7th, 2021, 23h00m (Lisbon Time)
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), is the first and only International Intergovernmental Organisation in the world entirely focused on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
It was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research, deploy and communicate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to be a recognised leading global nanotechnology innovation hub.
Project Specifications: This project is funded by PT2020 under the programme (LINK4S)ustainability;
Name of the project: (LINK4S)ustainability – A new generation connectivity system for creation and integration of network of objects for new sustainability paradigms
Reference number: POCI-01-0247-FEDER-072572
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL) is seeking a highly-qualified, self-motivated Electronics Engineer to join the System Engineering Group. The group focus is to bring advanced Nanoelectronics, into mainstream applications within the semiconductor, biomedical, agri-food, industrial, and space markets. The LINK4S consortium, with industrial and research partners, will design and developed a novel generation of Smart Embedded Connected Devices and associated software platforms (communication network infrastructure and cyber applications), aiming at the integration of networks of objects and social networks in the context of mobility and energy ecosystems. INL will developed the system components that include the sensors (MEMS, Magnetic and Optical) and the corresponding low level physical abstraction for a new generation of IoT devices which will be specifically tailored for the needs of industrial partners and use cases.
Job Role & Key Responsibilities
The Research Engineer will undertake the following main activities and responsibilities:
- Development of System-in-Package solutions for IoT edge connected devices;
- Development of a reconfigurable embedded hardware IoT platform with integration of multiple sensors, signal processing and control, and wireless communications (NB-IoT 5G).
Candidates should meet the following requirements:
- MSc Degree in Electrical, Electronics, or Physics Engineering or any other relevant field.
Experience and Technical Skills
- Good experience in hardware design with both analog and digital components;
- Experience in FPGA design (VHLD or Verilog);
- Experience in circuit board design targeting low noise, RF applications, product life-cycle including EMC, and handover to production (BOM);
- Strong low-level software skills (C/C++) and the ability to do initial board bring up;
- Experience with designs including wireless communications (Bluetooth, 802.11, 4G/LTE, or NB-IoT);
- Embedded Linux experience would be highly valued;
- Experience in building test chip setups, including computer interfacing (e.g. LabVIEW, Matlab or Python) and data acquisition (Labview or Python), will be valued;
- Experience with CAD tools (PCB design and SPICE simulation) and FEM tools (Comsol or similar 3D tools), will be valued.
- Strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary environment, with the ability to pay close attention to detail and to meet deadlines;
- Team work spirit;
- Good communication skills;
- “Hands-on” approach together with a high commitment in respecting working deadlines;
- Highly organised and dynamic.
Note: Candidates should not have a labour contract with INL during the 12 months before the application.
Excellent communication skills in English are required since it’s the working language of INL.
The work plan will be developed at the INL under the scientific guidance of João Piteira.
Duration of the contract
The total duration of the employment contract shall be 20 months. The expected starting date is November 2021.
What we offer
- Social Security costs to be paid by INL;
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefits;
- A family allowance for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members;
- 30 days of annual leave;
- Diplomatic status.
How to Apply
The application is made online through our e-recruiting platform. Please click on the “Apply” button.
For the application to be valid it must be made in English and the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form, as well as submit all required documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English;
(c) Academic degrees certificates;
(d) Recognition of academic degrees (only academic degrees awarded by non-Portuguese higher education institutions)*.
* The selected candidate(s) with an academic degree granted by a non-Portuguese higher education institution must present, for hiring purposes, the certificate of recognition of that degree(s), issued by the Portuguese Directorate General for Higher Education or by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution. Please consult the website of the Portuguese Directorate General for Higher Education: https://www.dges.gov.pt/en.
At the application stage, the supporting document(s) mentioned in paragraph (d) [Recognition of academic degrees (only academic degrees awarded by non-Portuguese higher education institutions)], may be replaced by a Declaration of Honour (Template) from the candidate. In this case, the application of the candidate will be provisionally accepted provided that the following conditions shall be satisfied:
- The Declaration of Honour should state facts only prior to the application. If the information on the Declaration of Honour differs from the certificate of recognition submitted at stage of preparing the contract, only this last one is considered;
- The Certificate of Recognition issued by the competent Portuguese Authority is mandatory at the stage of preparing the contract;
- The Certificate of Recognition must match the information considered in the evaluation stage.
The documents must be submitted in the “additional files” section using the “add portfolio” icon that appears in the application form.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment, you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Office.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value your interest in becoming part of the INL experience and it is important for us to maintain good communications with all candidates. No matter the outcome of your application, we will always provide you with feedback.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of and duties based on any possible discriminatory issues.
Enquiries should be made to: [email protected].
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.