Research Fellow – Quantum metrology experimentalist for Optically Detected Magnetic Resonance (ODMR) experiments on NV centers in diamond
- IMPORTANT NOTE -
INL is actively working to mitigate the risk of CoVid-19 and is promoting protection measures within their community with impact in the regular activities. Ongoing and new R&S processes may have changes during this exceptional period. Please check the details in the job vacancy to keep track on any updates.
Research Fellow – Quantum metrology experimentalist for Optically Detected Magnetic Resonance (ODMR) experiments on NV centers in diamond (Ref.11.20.55)
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Number of Vacancies: 1
Group/Unit: Ultrafast Bio- and Nanophotonics
Required Education: PhD degree
Employment Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 24 months
Open Date for Applications: December 22nd, 2020
Closing Date for Applications: January 25th, 2021, 23h00m (Lisbon Time)
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), is the first and only International Intergovernmental Organisation in the world entirely focused on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
It was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research, deploy and communicate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to be a recognised leading global nanotechnology innovation hub.
Project Specifications: The project is financed by La Caixa and FCT, under the programme INICIATIVA IBÉRICA DE INVESTIGAÇÃO E INOVAÇÃO BIOMÉDICA – I4B FCT
Name of the project: Diamond photonics platforms for synaptic connectivity assessment in healthy and Parkinson disease neuronal models (Diamond4Brain)
Reference number: 2000206
The ambition with this project is to experimentally develop latest Optical Detected Magnetic Resonance (ODMR) techniques integrated into a high resolution fluorescence microscope, which can be used to assess temperature and magnetic field information. The method shall be optimized from current implementations on confocal/FLIM and widefield microscope, which includes cw and first pulsed ODMR modes (based on a pulse blaster ESR Pro pulse generator card) and applied to biological samples provided by collaborators from the Life Science research institute ICVS and / or U Aveiro.
The ODMR technique shall be applied in the field of neurosciences and neurodegenerative diseases.
Along the project the candidate will be able to reach important technologic and scientific milestones, for which the candidate shall contribute in the publication process in high impact scientific journals.
Scientific Area: Experimental Nanophotonics, Quantum Photonics
Job Role & Key Responsibilities
The successful candidate will work on the optimization and further development of an ODMR experimental implementation to study NV centers in diamond and perform key applications. She/he will be assigned the following working plan:
- Design and implement suited ODMR sequenced for enhanced magnetic field sensing
- Implement/Optimize a data acquisition protocol using a device control software (Python);
- Application of the techniques on the nanofabricated samples and on mockup and cell samples provided by collaborators;
- Analysis and parameter extraction from ODMR experimental data recorded on custom confocal/FLIM and/or widefield / TIRF setup equipped with Andor iXon EM CCD camera
- Reporting: Participation in group seminars, conferences (posters/talks), and writing scientific reports suited for publication.
Supervision: The work plan will be developed at the INL under the scientific guidance of Dr. Jana Berit Nieder. The successful candidate will be integrated in the Ultrafast Bio- and Nanophotonics Group.
Candidates should meet the following requirements:
- PhD degree in Photonics, Physics, Physics Engineering, Biophysics or other related field, is required.
Experience and Technical Skills
Candidates must meet the following conditions, as they are required by the nature of the duties, candidates will be required to perform:
- Expertise/scientific knowledge in experimental setup development;
- Expertise/scientific knowledge in spectroscopic/ image data acquisition and data analysis;
- Experience in software device control (e.g. Python) is of advantage;
- Expertise/scientific knowledge in magnetic resonance techniques is of advantage;
- Expertise/scientific knowledge in nano-/microfabrication (clean room techniques) is of advantage;
- Expertise/scientific knowledge in in vitro cellular fluorescence microscopy is of advantage.
Applications that do not meet these conditions will not be considered.
- Strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary environment, with the ability to pay close attention to detail and to meet deadlines;
- Team work spirit;
- Good communication skills;
- “Hands-on” approach together with a high commitment in respecting working deadlines;
- Highly organised and dynamic.
Excellent communication skills in English are required since it’s the working language of INL.
Duration of the contract
The total duration of the employment contract shall be 24 months and may be renewed based on the performance of the individual and the duration of the project.
What we offer
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefits;
- A family allowance for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members;
- 30 days of annual leave;
- Diplomatic status.
How to Apply
The application is made online through our e-recruiting platform. Please click on the “Apply” button.
For the application to be valid it must be made in English and the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form, as well as submit all required documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English;
(c) Academic certificates.
The documents must be submitted in the “additional files” section using the “add portfolio” icon that appears in the application form.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment, you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Office.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value your interest in becoming part of the INL experience and it is important for us to maintain good communications with all candidates. No matter the outcome of your application, we will always provide you with feedback.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of and duties based on any possible discriminatory issues.
Enquiries should be made to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.