After School Basketball Coach - IDEA Los Encinos College Prep (Immediate Opening)
About IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 3 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tampa Bay, FL (2021), and Jacksonville, FL (2022)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
About the Rio Grande Valley:
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX, to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy Counties) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA’s mission of college for all, as only 1 out of 17 students currently graduate college ready. Our mission holds true as we have over 5,000 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 300 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022.
Role Mission: Athletic Coaches instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for athletes to realize a degree of individual and team success. Coaches should instruct and demonstrate behaviors that lead to socially acceptable character development, self-discipline, self-confidence, and pride of accomplishment in student athletes
What You’ll Do – Accountabilities:
· Work effectively with students of differing ages, abilities, and backgrounds
· Establish and maintain effective working relations with program and school personnel
· Serve as an appropriate role model for student-athletes through his/her instruction and action
· Follow directions and function within program and school policies and procedures
· Give constant attention to a student-athlete’s grades and conduct
· Be present at all games, practices, and while traveling
· Provide assistance, guidance, and safeguards for each participant at all times
· Complete paperwork on all disabling athletic injuries on proper forms and submits to athletic coordinator and school nurse within 24 hours
· Determines discipline, delineates procedures concerning due process when the enforcement of the discipline is necessary, and contacts parents when a student is dropped or becomes ineligible
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
· Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
· Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
· Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
· Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
· Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
· Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
· Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
· We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
· Education: No Minimum Requirement
· Experience: Previous coaching experience in assigned sport desirable
· License or Certification: Certification in care and prevention of athletic injuries, basic first-aid, CPR and AED.
Knowledge and Skills:
· Ability to organize and supervise a total sports program.
· Previous successful coaching experience in assigned sport. (Major sports)
· The head coach must have substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and, at the same time, must continue to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field.
· The head coach must serve as an appropriate role model for student athletes through his/her instructions and actions.
· IDEA/TCSAAL/UIL Rules and regulations in the athletic activity being coached.
· Techniques and methods of student supervision and behavior management.
· Cultural and physical differences and needs of children in assigned activities
· Complete the online UIL Rules Compliance Program
What We Offer
· Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate of $15.00/hourly for College Prep Coaches.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com‐muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. It is recommended that you include a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in IDEA and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.