Managing Director of Human Resources (Immediate Opening)
IDEA Public schools is searching for a Managing Director of Human Resources to fill an immediate, full-time opening. As the MD of HR you will serve as the national expert charged with leading human resources, employee relations, investigations, and legal/regulatory compliance at the national and regional levels. You will ensure achievement of key human capital objectives including staff retention and organizational health while building and developing a team of regional HR staff to provide support in these areas.
To be successful as the MD of HR, you must be a subject matter expert in human resources, employee relations, investigations, and compliance. Additionally, you must be strategic, detail oriented, and passionate about developing HR professionals to deliver exceptional customer service and serve as regional HR experts.
In this role you will report to the SVP of Talent Acquisition and directly/indirectly supervise the regional HR leaders. This is a Texas based position requiring up to 50% travel between IDEA regions. Preference will be given to candidates who live in Weslaco, San Antonio, Houston, Midland, El Paso, Austin, or Ft. Worth, or who are willing to relocate.
In this role you will:
- Directly or indirectly manage all regional HR staff; set vision for role, develop regional staff to fulfill vision while meeting regional needs
- Develop HR staff in alignment with IDEA and Human Assets vision
- Improve systems and operations to enhance employee and manager experience
- Coach and develop the HR team to ensure there is a strategy and plan to meet the goals and provide exemplar level of customer service
- Continuously review staff retention and turnover data; support, develop, implement, monitor action plans around findings to increase retention of A players
- Promote a “grow and develop” mindset within IDEA leaders and support them to be able to: make good employment decisions, develop and support capable staff, provide managerial leadership, mentoring and direction, conduct crucial conversations, and identify and implement improvement strategies for specific skills and mindsets
- Implement organizational compliance management program to streamline compliance, risk management, and governance practices across the organization
- Strategize with risk management and internal audit to ensure risk areas are properly identified and controls are in place to mitigate risk
- Develop vision and strategy and identify metrics for compliance with all laws, rules, and regulations dealing with personnel, student business and operational issues
- Position IDEA in good standing with all authorizers, legal agencies and stakeholders (TEA, DOL, USDOE, External Auditors, Charter Authorizers, SBEC, TRS)
- Continually review, update, and improve annual compliance training modules to provide exceptional training to all IDEA staff
- Oversee coaching and developing of leaders on how to effectively use progressive discipline to correct behaviors and reset expectations and develop HR trainings to support managers in proper documentation and disciplinary actions to support the unemployment claim process
- Initiate regular communication and presence with IDEA leaders; seek and give honest two-way feedback
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in relevant field preferred
- Licenses or Certifications: SPHR or PHR required
- At least eight years of experience in Human Capital and HR
- At least three years of successful management experience
- Experience and passion for building and maintaining a culture of integrity, respect, operational excellence, and appreciation of diversity
- Experience in managing and implementing multiple projects
- Strong business partnership experience
- Knowledge of school employment law, personnel law, and hearing procedures
- Ability to operate under immense pressure
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and statistics
As the leader of the HR department, you will be responsible for setting a vision that guides the team to reach the following ambitious goals:
- 80% retention of staff in their first year at IDEA
- 100% Regulatory Compliance - Implement organizational compliance management program to streamline compliance, risk management, and governance practices across the organization
- IDEA staff are developed professionally to avoid inappropriate behavior that causes unhealthy workplaces and may result in disciplinary action, such that 100% of staff and officers complete all required trainings - with 95% completing by deadline
- 90%-win rate of unemployment claims contested
- Build relationships of trust and collaboration with leaders and staff, so that 100% report being satisfied or highly satisfied with the partnership
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness, kindness, and inclusivity for our students and staff, and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.