CNP Assistant Director of Operations (21-22)
About IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tampa Bay, FL (2021), and Jacksonville, FL (2022)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
About the Rio Grande Valley:
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX, to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy Counties) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA’s mission of college for all, as only 1 out of 17 students currently graduate college ready. Our mission holds true as we have over 5,000 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 300 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022.
Role Mission: The mission of the CNP Assistant Director of Operations (ADO) is drive results for the goals set forth for our program while increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of all our cafeterias in the district. This role reports to the CNP Director of Operations and ensures CNP Regional Managers align to each other and all teams adhere to the food and nutrition standards set forth by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and state agencies. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to: oversees regional manager’s performance & professional development, ensuring financial targets are met for the region and implement corrective measures as needed, regular physical on-site assessment of campus CNP operations, collaborate developing PD for campus CNP staff that bridge gaps in maintain compliance, streamlining process, collaborating with other headquarters team to support alignment of IDEA’s Wellness Policy.
District meets budgeted participation for breakfast, lunch and supper by June 30.
- Tracks meal participation across campuses in assigned region and uses the Participation Escalation protocol in coordination with Regional and Cafeteria Managers to effectively drive increases in participation
- Identifies gaps in knowledge and/or training related to increasing participation
- Delivers additional training as needed, and/or collaborates with training manager to develop or improve existing trainings
- Implements and enhances marketing strategies to reach out to IDEA families
- Coordinate with CNP Finance and CNP Nutrition to execute pilots, initiatives, surveys or other information gathering projects for the purpose of increase student participation in the region or improving the menu
- Ensures campuses in designated regions are publishing schedules designed to minimize or eliminate overtime (OT)
- Tracks OT data at least biweekly
- Supports Regional M anagers to identify and address root causes behind OT
- Collects and tracks data on Meals Per Labor Hour (MPLH), and ensures campus team are appropriately staffed
- Models internal audits with Regional Managers at select campuses
- Coordinate with CNP Regional Managers to ensure internal audits are scheduled and carried out
- Track and report out on results of internal audits
- Improves the internal audit tool in accordance with changes in IDEA CNP policy or state/federal guidance
District meets 85% retention of CNP staff by June 30th.
- Develop and deliver professional development training for regional manages and campus staff that bridges gaps in compliance or quality of service.
- Lead the improvement of the cafeteria manager in training program and manager pipeline program
- Review departmental job satisfaction survey results and develop strategy for continuous improvement
- Develop departmental policies and procedures, with operational context, that align with IDEA’s Human Resources and TDA compliance.
- Conduct regular on-site assessments of cafeterias with a focus on identifying best practices and or gaps in food service operations.
100% of programmed schools in operation with CNP campus staff hired, food and kitchen ready by the first day of school.
- Develop and update projects in Wrike (or other project management tool) to track timelines and support accountability, and ensure these projects are completed on time
- Cascade BOY plans and tools to each region
- Track implementation of BOY readiness plans and coach where necessary
- Lead the Ambassador program to support BOY in new campuses
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Demonstrates effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
The ADO may have up to 6 direct reports among the CNP Regional Managers and Training Manager, and/or may be responsible for the performance of Regional Managers across the district in regards to specific goals and/or projects. In school year 2020-2021 CNP will have approximately 700 employees in three states with 70 cafeterias in 10 regions.
- Mission Focus – focuses on IDEA’s core purpose of getting all students into college
- Record of Results – holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals
- Managing Others to Deliver Results – leads team to achieve measurable and ambitious results
- Problem Solving – able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals
- Coaching & Developing – develops team through formal and informal methods; makes professional development a top priority
- Communication – effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques
- Continuous Improvement – proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business Management and/or Administration or related
Experience: 3+ years in leadership role(s) within food or hospitality related industry, oversight of multiple units across several regions
Licenses or Certifications (if applicable): Nationally recognized food safety certification
Knowledge and Skills:
- Business awareness with working knowledge of methods, materials, equipment, and processes used in food management.
- Knowledge of safety, security and sanitation procedures and their implementation in food operations
- Knowledge of local, state, and national policy of managing food service programs: National Breakfast Program, National School Lunch Program, and Child and Adult Care Food Program, and the Community Eligibility Provision. Ability to comply with federal, state, and local laws as well as board policy in food service area
- Knowledge of state audit processes for internal, external, single audits and state audit reviews
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop a diverse group of individuals across multiple regions.
- Strong computer literacy, that includes an understanding of Microsoft Office Suite (i.e Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong mathematical skills and the ability to understand and interpret data (charts, graphs, etc.).
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates strong problem solving, adaptability and flexibility skills.
- Can work independently with little direction.
- Can handle stress well to meet time sensitive deliverables.
- Able to work prolonged and irregular hours especially in the months leading to our first day of school.
- Able to travel approximately 30% of the work week.
Salaries for this role typically fall between $73,995 and $90,255, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.