Campus Bus Driver Mechanic - IDEA Brownsville (Immediate Opening)
About IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tampa Bay, FL (2021), and Jacksonville, FL (2022)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
About the Rio Grande Valley:
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX, to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy Counties) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA’s mission of college for all, as only 1 out of 17 students currently graduate college ready. Our mission holds true as we have over 5,000 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 300 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022.
The Bus Driver Mechanic (CBDM) will provide basic level solutions of repairs and/or diagnose to the campus bus fleet to ensure the availability of units to be in safe operating condition meeting district, state and federal requirements and criteria with the guidance of the District Mechanic. The CBDM will also drive a school bus while ensuring the entire campus fleet is always maintained in a safe operating condition.
Make sure bus fleet is in in good working conditions and meeting district, state and federal requirements
· Maintain accurate records of operation work orders
Maintain fleet in safe operating condition while having a 7% savings on maintenance cost over previous year
Must be able to lead team and hold them accountable of their work performance
Must manage multiple tasks by prioritize work
• Adapting to changing environments while performing various tasks and by prioritizing work
• Overseeing various tasks simultaneously within established time constraints
Safely transports students
• Drives a school bus safely in accordance with scheduled times
• Maintains proper discipline of students
• Established safety and operational inspection of assigned vehicle daily
• Oversees the loading and unloading of students, releasing students to authorized individual; assures that safety belts are fastened in passenger vans
Live values of IDEA
· Embodies IDEA’s core values
Competencies (if applicable):
- Communication – effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques
- Organization – keeps self and others organized through development of efficient systems
- Problem Solving – able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals
- Continuous Improvement – proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: Minimum 1 years’ experience as Diesel Mechanic (preferred)
- Licenses or Certifications (if applicable): Valid Class A or B Driver’s License with “P” and “S” endorsements, DOT Physical Examination, & State Region Certification
- Knowledge and Skills: One (1) year of experience within the diesel or automotive industry
- Must be able to execute the following mechanic skills and duties:
- PM inspections
- Change lights
- Basic electrical diagnostics, Power/ Ground 2 wire circuits
- Knowledge of Proper fluid levels
- Oil changes without supervision
- Belts/ hoses
- Battery replacement
- Replace Synovia parts
- Computer literate (Service Finder, email, excel)
- Minor repairs, Alternators, coolant reservoirs, Brakes
- Window tint (can be trained on the job)
- Seat repairs (patch work, cover and foam replacement)
Compensation for this role typically falls between $14.56 and $18.20
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.