Camp Crew - Camp RIO (Immediate Opening)
Camp RIO is an outdoor education facility that operates nearly 100% outdoors. Interested candidates should be willing and able to work outside in a variety of weather conditions. Visit www.camprio.org to learn more.
Mission: The Camp Crew member will be responsible for operating a clean, safe, sustainable, high quality facility by working with the camp staff to enhance the camp environment and exemplify IDEA’s commitment to excellence. This position performs a variety of responsibilities including custodial, carpentry, small machine maintenance and repair, event set up and tear down, wildlife management,
Operate a clean and healthy environment that guarantees an enhanced learning environment.
- Clean the restrooms and headwaters building daily
- Clean the pavilion weekly
- Clean all areas of camp to standards outlined in daily duty chart
- Conduct regular sweeps of buildings and activity areas making notes of where we can improve
- Conduct regular sweeps of trails and teambuilding areas noting anything that needs attention
- Set up and maintain water jugs throughout program days
- Remove trash after meals and take to dumpster and recycling container
Operate a safe camp environment that fosters a sense community
- Operate and maintain camp tools safely
- Ensure that all trails are clear of debris and overgrowth
- Keep maintenance area neat and clean at all times
- Responsible for locking facility areas at the end of the day.
- Immediately report any malfunctioning or broken tool, equipment, or part of the facility
- 90% of SafeSchools training done before end of fiscal year
- Lead students when necessary
- Maintain a positive attitude as a role model for campers
Serve as a substitute when needed
- Learn the different skills that an Instructional Guide knows so that they can act as a substitute
- Retain key knowledge of the activities
- Develop a working relationship with the guides and campers
- Interact with campers on a personal level
- Remain flexible to be able to step in as needed
Assist Operations Manager with Camp Projects
- Spread mulch on trails and roadways as needed
- Move camp furniture to set up for activities and events
- Build camp furniture/items as needed for activity areas
- Work on additional projects as deemed necessary by the Operations Manager.
- Ability to be at work every day
- No more than 5 tardy arrivals and always punctual
- Ability and availability to work longer hours as needed to meet the mission goal
- Capable of adapting to the camps’ ever changing needs by demonstrating determination to meet its needs.
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Assure campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Develop relationships with campers that promote communication, respect, involvement, and empowerment.
- Instill respect for environment, self, and others.
- Reinforce IDEA’s mission of College for All Students.
- Maintain high levels of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
- Participate in development and implementation of program activities within the mission and outcomes.
- Willingness to learn and teach a variety of disciplines to varying grade levels.
- Be a role model to campers and staff in both attitude and behavior.
- Openness to observation and critical feedback
- Work duties on camp including maintenance and cleaning duties as assigned.
- Be on time to all scheduled trainings and work days.
- Excitement about working for a school system that is changing the status quo of education in Texas.
- Responsible for equipment maintenance and supplies for assigned activity areas.
- Flexibility handling changes in schedules and activities as required to maintain a high performing program.
- There are no minimum educational requirements for this position
- Working knowledge of power tools and hand tools is preferred.
- Direct work with school age children preferred.
- Custodial experience is preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Proven ability to work well with a team, as well as be counted on to complete individual tasks as necessary.
- Proven ability to work well with all age levels (campers ages 6-17 and adults).
- Salaries for this role typically fall between $13.00 and $14.95 per hour commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.