Test Facility Engineer
Heliogen is a clean energy company focused on eliminating the need for fossil fuels in all sectors of the economy. Heliogen’s mission is to create the world’s first technology that can commercially replace fossil fuels in industrial processes with carbon-free, ultra-high temperature heat from the sun and to transform sunlight into fuels, including hydrogen, at scale. Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator.
The Test Facility Engineer will be responsible for the testing and evaluations done at the Heliogen Lancaster test site as well as maintenance and operation of the site itself. As Heliogen develops new systems and equipment (heliostats, receivers, reactors, and associated items) for its concentrated solar projects, the Test Facility Engineer will lead the integration of that additional equipment into the Lancaster facility. The Lancaster test site includes permanent installations of a heliostat field (of Heliogen’s proprietary design), a tower for concentrated solar receiver testing, and three buildings which include a control room, workshop areas, and a conference/ educational area for interactions with customers, investors, and the public. The Test Facility Engineer would have the Lancaster facility as their normal base of operations and work location. The Test Facility Engineer will interface with various external contractors and Heliogen personnel as equipment deployment and testing is done. The Test Facility Engineer would have full time support from a small number of additional Heliogen personnel based in Lancaster. A regular presence of additional Heliogen personnel based at the Pasadena corporate offices will be expected at the Lancaster site.
Key Position Accountabilities:
- Test support – Interface with other engineers and test site personnel to support the setup and execution of on-sun testing and create test reports
- Fabrication and construction management – Work with tradespeople, technicians, engineers, and permitting agencies to facilitate upgrades and equipment installations
- Process analysis and troubleshooting – Analyze plant performance, including at design point and off-design point conditions, for a variety of experimental designs
- Facility optimization – Make continuous improvements to plant infrastructure, operating procedures, data collection, and plant safety
- Supervision – Provide the ongoing supervision of other Heliogen employees based at the Lancaster site.
- BS or MS in Engineering with minimum of 5 years work experience that includes hands-on process engineering, plant start-up and commissioning, plant trouble-shooting, and process optimization. Chemical, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering backgrounds with chemical process industry experience preferred.
- Familiarity with materials and methods of supplying plant utilities, including steam, and electrical power (120V, 240V, and 480V 3Phase supplies)
- Experience with process instrumentation and control, including selecting and installing different sensor types, and setting up process controllers
- Experience with selection and installation of process fluid handling equipment – pumps, blowers, piping, and ductwork.
- Familiarity with process hazard analysis (PHA) and hazard and operability studies (HAZOP) in the context of chemical process safety.
- Experience managing/ supervising technicians, fabricators, construction personnel, or production direct labor. A minimum of 2 years is preferred.
- Position requires physical activities including climbing ladders, working on elevated towers and platforms, stooping to work on equipment installed in small/ limited spaces, and lifting and carrying loads of 40 lbs. or more for extended periods of time.
- Strong organizational ability, including ability to manage deliverables and timeline for execution to achieve project goals
- Basic fabrication and assembly skills including operation of basic hand tools, drill presses, grinders, band saws, and similar equipment.
- Passion for startup company environment. Self-motivated hands-on individual who will work diligently to make Heliogen and the Lancaster site the best they can be.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, or similar applications.
- Experience with process development projects beginning with small-scale demonstrations and scaling up to commercial deployments
- Vendor management, including equipment suppliers as well as construction contractors
- Experience with high temperature materials, including high-nickel alloys and ceramics
Heliogen, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.