Chemical Process Engineer
Heliogen creates solar power solutions to sustainably empower civilization. We use innovative mechanical, electrical, and algorithmic designs to concentrate the sun’s energy and apply that energy to generate electrical power, provide industrial process heat, and drive thermochemical reactions.
The Chemical Process Engineer will be responsible for process and equipment design and optimization for a variety of solar-driven processes. Beginning in the conceptual phase, the Chemical Process Engineer will evaluate alternative process designs to select the most promising candidates for further study, then refine the process design and equipment selection through small-scale laboratory experiments, medium-scale on-sun demonstrations, and large-scale commercial deployments.
Key Position Accountabilities:
- Feasibility studies – Early screening of candidate process schemes to guide the selection of the most promising candidate(s)
- Process design – At each stage of development, design a process which balances thermal efficiency with capital and operating costs
- Process analysis – Carefully analyze chemical processes for performance, including at design point and off-design point conditions, in order to integrate models into solar plant simulations
- Unit operation and equipment design – Support the analysis and design of custom equipment like solar receivers, energy storage heat exchangers, and thermochemical reactors
- Test support – Interface with other chemical engineers and field personnel to support the execution of on-sun testing, validating test results against process analysis and simulations
- Process optimization – Integrate test data analysis into design iterations as processes are scaled up, optimizing for performance, capital cost, and operating cost
- BS, MS, or PhD in Chemical Engineering with minimum of 5 years work experience that includes hands-on process engineering, plant trouble-shooting, and process optimization
- Significant experience in chemical process design and analysis, using both hand-calculation and process simulation software such as CHEMCAD, Aspen Plus, or equivalent
- Familiarity with process development beginning with small-scale piloting and scaling up to demonstrations and commercial deployments
- Cost estimation experience, using a combination of cost models and vendor interaction
- Passion for startup company style, hands-on, engaging work to get the job done
- Strong organizational ability, including formulation of project goals, deliverables, and timeline for execution
- Familiarity with hazard analysis in the context of chemical process safety
- Hands-on laboratory experience validating chemical reactor design parameters
- Process design for hydrogen and/or syngas production, for example via methane reforming
- Vendor management, including equipment suppliers as well as construction contractors
- Experience with high temperature materials, including high-nickel alloys and ceramics
Heliogen, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.