Modeling & Simulation Engineer
Heliogen is a clean energy company focused on eliminating the need for fossil fuels in all sectors of the economy. Heliogen’s mission is to create the world’s first technology that can commercially replace fossil fuels in industrial processes with carbon-free, ultra-high temperature heat from the sun and to transform sunlight into fuels, including hydrogen, at scale. Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator.
To research, develop, implement, and test the software tools and models that simulate the performance of innovative designs across disciplines at Heliogen. Work will emphasize model validation against actual plant data, model development to support R&D efforts, and supportive training for business development, all informing key business & design decisions at every level of the company.
Key Position Accountabilities:
- development – design & maintain simulation/modeling tools for internal & external use
- operate for result generation and presentation – use of those tools to generate actionable results, document them in reports and present them to internal and external customers
- training – conduct training sessions for internal and external users to become familiar with tool capabilities in their capacity as a consumer of results or an operator themselves
The expected strength in the following areas often comes from 5 to 10 years of postgraduate academic or industry experience, though demonstrated superior capability is more important than the learning pathway.
- software development skills including C#/C++, unit testing/TDD, and Git or equivalent
- algorithm design skills in conception, implementation, and debugging of novel systems
- optical modeling skills in vector operations, linear algebra, ray tracing, image processing
- thermal modeling skills including flow, transfer, and conversion
- system modeling skills including optimization, state machines, and controllers
- data analysis skills including at least intermediate statistics and probability
- user interface design including WPF, multithreading, REST, client-server interactions
- performance optimization including native algorithm implementation & GPU programming
- mechanical modeling skills including manipulator kinematics and force/load analyses
- chemical process modeling skills including transport phenomena and reactor design
- knowledge of solar thermal technologies, marketplace, and competitive landscape; and
- advanced data analysis skills including machine learning e.g. CNNs and Gaussian processes
Heliogen, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.