Control Software Engineer
Heliogen is a clean energy company focused on eliminating the need for fossil fuels in all sectors of the economy. Heliogen’s mission is to create the world’s first technology that can commercially replace fossil fuels in industrial processes with carbon-free, ultra-high temperature heat from the sun and to transform sunlight into fuels, including hydrogen, at scale. Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator.
Research, develop, implement, and test the software that measures, controls, displays, and manages data for Heliogen concentrating solar thermal plants, and develop tools used during e.g. R&D efforts and manufacturing.
Key Position Accountabilities:
- Analysis, Simulation, Experimentation – Use rigorous techniques to understand the problems that need to be solved and characterize the systems involved in solving them.
- Control System Development – Use physics, computer vision, machine learning, and control theory to enable high performance concentrating solar thermal facilities. The algorithms you create will control megawatts of radiant power, heating materials to well above 1000° C.
- Deployment & Support - Design, set up, and support the control systems for worldwide projects including specifying and configuring hardware components (e.g. cameras)
- 3+ years professional experience in software development outside an undergraduate program
- control theory professional experience including PID, filtering, MPC, Markov processes
- software development skills including C#/C++, unit testing/TDD, and Git
- algorithm design skills in conception, implementation, and debugging of novel systems
- mathematical skills including linear algebra, 3D geometry, optimization, differential equations
- data analysis skills including at least intermediate statistics and probability
- physics knowledge including optics and thermodynamics
- robotics skills including kinematics, computer vision, and motor control
- performance optimization including native algorithm implementation & GPU programming
- knowledge of solar thermal technologies
- machine learning skills including CNNs and Gaussian processes
Job Location: Heliogen is based in Pasadena, CA. Remote applicants must be able to do at least half of their work during Pacific Time working hours of 9 AM to 5 PM (UTC -8 & -7).
Heliogen, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.