Biologist (ESA Specialist)
Job Title: Biologist (Endangered Species Act)
Location: Anchorage, AK
IBSS is seeking an Endangered Species Act Specialist to support NOAA Fisheries Alaska Region’s Protected Resources Division (PRD) in Anchorage, Alaska. The Alaska Region’s PRD regularly consults on the effects of various federal projects and authorizations to take threatened and endangered species under section 7 of the Endangered Species Act (ESA). It is also responsible for implementing recovery actions directed towards conservation of threatened and endangered marine mammals. A well-qualified candidate will have knowledge of Alaska’s ESA‐listed species and their habitats, Particularly the 13 marine mammals of the Alaska Region.
- Responsible for undertaking actions necessary to satisfy the ESA consultation requirements of NOAA Fisheries for informal and formal consultations, and respond to impacts from these federal actions to threatened and endangered species.
- Providing early technical assistance to federal agencies, or their designated non-federal representatives, consultants, or applicants regarding ESA section 7 consultation requirements and measures to minimize, mitigate or avoid the taking of listed species.
- Providing responses to inquiries of federal agencies or their designated non-federal representatives, concerning the presence of ESA species within their project action areas (i.e., "species lists").
- Conducting ESA section 7 informal consultations.
- Conducting ESA section 7 formal and programmatic consultations.
- Conducting tasks related to the recovery of ESA-listed marine mammals, including outreach, data entry, and participation in working groups addressing recovery of ESA-listed species.
- Knowledge of NMFS Acoustic Criteria for exposure to underwater and airborne noise, and relevant experience with section 7 ESA consultations.
- Experience preparing Section 7 consultations as required under the ESA.
- Knowledge of AKR’s ESA‐listed species and their habitats.
- Knowledge of NMFS Acoustic Criteria for exposure to underwater and airborne noise.
- Strong understanding of the coastal and marine ecology of Alaska
- Critical thinking and the ability to assess potential impacts to ESA resources associated with coastal and marine activities (e.g., oil & gas exploration and development, dredging, harbor construction, pile driving, military operations).
- Strong professional writing skills and the ability to express both biological and regulatory concepts in plain language.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well with others, including a diverse array of federal action agencies.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to work independently and comply with project deadlines.
- Proficient with End Note.
About IBSS Corp
IBSS is a Woman-Owned, WBENC-certified and MBE/DBE-certified business. Since 1992, IBSS has provided specialized professional, scientific, technical, cybersecurity, IT, and software engineering solutions to the Federal sector. Our clients include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Department of Defense (DoD), and the Department of Justice (DOJ). We are committed to serving our clients and employees by delivering service excellence, creating value through technology, and continually improving our skills, services, and processes. Moreover, we maintain an ISO 9001:2015 certification which allows us to optimize current industry best practices to enhance delivery outcomes for our clients.
IBSS offers a competitive benefits package including paid vacation, medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage with company-paid deductible, matching 401K plan, tuition/training reimbursement, and Flex-Spending (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA) options.
IBSS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Please submit requests for additional information and qualified resumes to: [email protected]