Risk Assessment Specialist - Remote
Job Title: Risk Assessment Specialist
Must be able to obtain Public Trust clearance
Certifications Required: None
IBSS is seeking a full-time Risk Assessment Specialist to support NOAA’s Northeast Fisheries Science Center in Woods Hole, Massachusetts.
The specialist will work remotely to conduct risk assessments to evaluate risks in the context of Aquaculture Opportunity Area (AOA) identification and the implementation of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
The specialist will serve as part of a broader team (e.g. social scientists, engineers, genetic risk experts) to identify 10 AOAs and complete Programmatic Environmental Impact Statements (PEIS). The specialist will assess and convey potential ecological risks (e.g., genetics, disease, habitat impacts, protected resources interactions, etc.) of siting and running aquaculture facilities including risk reduction and mitigation strategies; and risk communications.
- Work as the risk assessment specialist/expert on a larger team of subject matter experts, supporting refinement and operationalization of ecological risk assessment frameworks to meet the needs of NEPA and decision makers
- Refine and develop quantitative and qualitative ecological, social, and economic risk assessment frameworks to inform development of a PEIS for AOA(s) in Southern California and/or the Gulf of Mexico
- In coordination with NOAA’s AOA development team, support identification of Aquaculture Opportunity Areas which eliminate, reduce or mitigate risk
- Work with NOAA’s Office of Aquaculture on risk communication to inform tailored outreach and communications plans
- Identify and advise NOAA’s Office of Aquaculture about ongoing scientific and data collection needs for improving risk assessments
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in an environmental sciences, actuarial sciences, or a related field, OR a Bachelor's degree and at least 2 years of demonstrated experience conducting quantitative and/or qualitative risk assessments
- Experience in Risk Communication and Risk Assessment
- Professional Certification in Risk Assessment and Risk Communication (optional)
- Project management experience, including experience working with subject matter experts in unfamiliar fields, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with applications of ecological risk assessments for marine resource management and NEPA processes
About IBSS Corp
IBSS is a Woman-Owned, WBENC certified and MBE/DBE-certified business. Since 1992, IBSS has provided specialized professional, scientific, technical, cybersecurity, IT, and software engineering solutions to the Federal sector. Our clients include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Department of Defense (DoD), and the Department of Justice (DOJ). We are committed to serving our clients and employees by delivering service excellence, creating value through technology, and continually improving our skills, services, and processes. Moreover, we maintain an ISO 9001:2015 certification which allows us to optimize current industry best practices to enhance delivery outcomes for our clients.
IBSS offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage with company-paid deductible, paid time off, federal holidays, matching 401K plan, tuition/professional development reimbursement, and Flex-Spending (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA) options.
IBSS is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.