Foreign Affairs Specialist - MMPA / Marine Mammal Protection Act
Job Title: Foreign Affairs Specialist
Location: Silver Spring, MD
IBSS is seeking a full-time Foreign Affairs Specialist to support NOAA’s Office of International Affairs and Seafood Inspection (OIASI) in Silver Spring, MD. A well-qualified candidate will have experience in policy or resource management, specifically related to the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA), and knowledge of bycatch issues and global fisheries. If you are looking to be an instrumental part of a growing, employee and customer-focused company working on exciting issues in environmental science and other marine/coastal resources. We want to hear from you!
- Assist OIASI in implementing the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) and the Seafood Import Monitoring Program (SIMP).
- Assist in the development of compliance materials, and in the organization and execution of workshops, webinars, and teleconferences designed and intended to inform and support members of the affected public, including both international partners and domestic stakeholders, in their efforts to comply with these rules (MMPA and SIMP).
- Provide advice and counsel to OIASI leadership and personnel on all aspects of efforts to support the implementation of and compliance with, the MMPA Import Rule and the SIMP.
- Support projects related to these programs as well as to the Moratorium Protection Act identification and certification process, the International Trade Data System, and other programs administered by the Office.
- Implementation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) & Seafood Import Monitoring Program Support (SIMP) that consists of the following:
- Assist in prioritizing international information and compliance efforts.
- Assist in the development of implementation and compliance materials.
- Assist in the development of an international public outreach and engagement plan.
- Coordinating and scheduling travel, logistics, and presentation materials associated with international outreach for regulatory implementation and compliance.
- Acting as primary Point of Contact for implementation and compliance inquiries.
- Attend international conferences, meetings, and workshops.
- Other relevant duties and responsibilities as they may be assigned by the client or program manager.
- MS/PhD in environmental science or associated discipline (e.g., biology, ecology, fisheries biology, marine biology, natural resource management, conservation biology).
- 5+ years experience in policy or resource management related to protected species and fishery management.
- Knowledge of bycatch issues, global fisheries, and understanding fishery and market interconnections.
- Knowledge and experience with Marine Mammal Protection Act Import Rule and the Seafood Import Monitoring Program.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work independently and comply with project deadlines
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Advanced professional writing skills and the ability to express both biological and regulatory concepts in plain language.
About IBSS Corp
IBSS is a Woman-Owned, WBENC-certified and MBE/DBE-certified business. Since 1992, IBSS has provided specialized professional, scientific, technical, cybersecurity, IT, and software engineering solutions to the Federal sector. Our clients include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Department of Defense (DoD), and the Department of Justice (DOJ). We are committed to serving our clients and employees by delivering service excellence, creating value through technology, and continually improving our skills, services, and processes. Moreover, we maintain an ISO 9001:2015 certification which allows us to optimize current industry best practices to enhance delivery outcomes for our clients.
IBSS offers a competitive benefits package including paid vacation, medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage with company-paid deductible, matching 401K plan, tuition/training reimbursement, and Flex-Spending (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA) options.
IBSS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.