FOIA Paralegal III
Job Title: FOIA Paralegal III
Location: Arlington, VA
Required: Paralegal Certificate
IBSS is looking for a full-time FOIA Paralegal III with detailed legal writing experience. This position requires the employee to review and process Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests for our Government client. The employee will prepare correspondence, draft materials for litigation, conduct research and gather date for the requests while maintaining the highest standard of ethics and ensuring timely completion of the requests. The role also requires the employee, on a rotation basis, to work on the Customer Service Hotline assisting Requestors.
- Assist attorneys in providing review over Legal Clerk and Paralegal/Legal Assistant II work products.
- Assist with reviewing all incoming FOIA requests and input specific information from those requests into the client’s FOIAXpress system.
- Review a specified number of FOIA cases per month which will involve sending document search requests, process documents received, and draft determination letters.
- Prepare correspondence to the requestor as appropriate including an acknowledgement letter, a fee request letter, periodic status updates, and a final response Tasks
- Prepare FOIA referral/consultation letters to other Government agencies as well as process FOIA referral/consultation letters received from other Government agencies
- Analyzes and evaluates case files against legal standards.
- Notes and corrects case file deficiencies (e.g., missing documents, inconsistent material, leads not investigated) before sending the case on to the concerned trial attorney.
- Reviews and analyzes available precedents relevant to cases under consideration for use in presenting case summaries to trial attorneys.
- Gathers, sorts, classifies, and interprets data to discover patterns of possible discrimination activity.
- Interviews relevant personnel and potential witnesses to gather information.
- Reviews and analyzes relevant statistics.
- Performs statistical evaluations such as standard deviations, analyses of variance, means, modes, and ranges as supporting data for case litigation.
- Consults with statistical experts on reliability evaluations.
- May testify in court concerning relevant data.
- 5-8 years of paralegal experience required.
- Strong working knowledge of legal system, legal research procedures, and sources of information.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, analytic ability, and thorough knowledge of legal research tools.
- Hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, database, Spreadsheet, and telecommunications.
- Ability to consistently deliver highest quality work under extreme pressure.
- Possess a paralegal certificate
- Trial experience desirable
- Strong experience with FOIA desirable
- Records Management experience
About IBSS Corp
IBSS is a Woman-Owned business. Since 1992, IBSS has provided specialized professional and technical, cybersecurity, IT, and software engineering solutions to the Federal sector. Our clients include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Department of Defense (DoD), and the Department of Justice (DOJ). We are committed to serving our clients and employees by delivering service excellence, creating value through technology, and continually improving our skills, services, and processes. Moreover, we maintain an ISO 9001:2015 certification which allows us to optimize current industry best practices to enhance delivery outcomes for our clients.
IBSS offers a competitive benefits package including paid vacation, medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage with company-paid deductible, matching 401K plan, tuition/training reimbursement, and Flex-Spending (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA) options.
IBSS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.