Product Development Engineer
About Hunter Douglas:
Hunter Douglas is the world’s leading manufacturer of window coverings. Our strength is our ability to develop innovative, high-quality, proprietary products that can be found in millions of homes and commercial buildings around the globe. Across the board and throughout the world, we have set new standards in research, design and technology. By constantly innovating and pairing our designs with the most elegant performance fabrics, we create long-lasting unique window treatments whose beauty, functionality, durability, and innovation are simply like no other.
To view a video about Hunter Douglas’ history of innovation please click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QS3ljwG2jw
We are looking for a Product Development Engineer with two or more years of demonstrated experience in product engineering. This ideal candidate will be responsible for product engineering and development for the business unit, place particular emphasis upon the development of new components, process and equipment solutions through design and modeling and will guide the work projects of business unit from concept stage to full production.
- Manages and coordinates engineering work activities in the development of new components and products, as well as in the improvement to existing components and products.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders to define user requirements for the design of components and products. Develops design requirements based on the user requirements.
- Oversees any prototype component tooling and product testing. Insures that all testing documentation concerning project feasibility, development and implementation is carried out according to the company’s Product Development and Testing Guidelines.
- Responsible to design and execute engineering experiments to create workable solutions.
- Prepare plans with detailed drawings that include project scope, specifications and cost estimates.
- Conducts research of new materials, processes and procedures to enhance and improve upon the shutter product line.
- Interacts with suppliers to identify materials, availability and costs necessary to complete projects.
- Develops and prepares project timelines and budgets for assigned projects. Maintains a system of budget and schedule control. Frequently communicates with other staff to determine project status and accommodations to be made to the project timeline. Interacts with representatives of other departments involved with product project to provide status updates as appropriate.
- Seeks to improve the profitability of the business unit through design improvements and collaboration with Manufacturing and Fabrication.
- Pursues engineering research work in the area of wood, plastics, metals, and coatings to assist with development and enhancements of the product lines.
- Assists in the development of strategic planning for the business unit to meet and achieve business plan objectives through continuous communication with other representatives within the business unit.
- Travel: 25%
Acceptable Training and Experience:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering.
- Proficient in SolidWorks 3D CAD modeling software, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Minimum of two (2) years of demonstrated experience in product engineering and development.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and verbal communication, including creating and delivering presentations.
- Proficiency with SolidWorks PDM a plus.
- Expert knowledge to create, read, and understand mechanical drawings.
- Expert knowledge of communication skills, particularly, preparing technical reports and justification of engineering projects and budgets.
- Solid knowledge of the principles of Mechanical Engineering.
- Solid knowledge of tolerance stack-ups and GD&T.
- Solid knowledge of computer use and software such as, MS Word, Excel, Power Point and SolidWorks CAD.
- Solid knowledge of wood moulding, wood finishing, metal stamping and plastic injection molding design and processes.
- Solid knowledge of project management to establish timelines.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective work relationships.
- Basic knowledge of the physical properties and characteristics of wood, metals, and plastics.
- Basic knowledge of business finance to estimate and manage project costs; return on investments.
- Ability to synthesize information from various sources.
- Ability to work on projects in a self-directed manner with minimal supervision.
- Ability to analyze cause and effect relationships involved with engineering design.
Hunter Douglas offers a competitive salary, an excellent work environment and great benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Vacations, Paid holidays, Paid Life Insurance and Employee Assistance Program. In addition, we also offer a 401K plan.