Sr. Buyer - Planner
About Hunter Douglas:
Beautiful design, industry-leading innovation, and a highly entrepreneurial global culture - all parts of your daily life at Hunter Douglas, the world’s leader in window fashions and maker of iconic architectural products.
Our nine decade history has created a legacy of innovations and achievements. Most recently, we're pioneering exciting new digital technologies that transform stylish window treatments into intelligent smart shades for today's connected homes.
With the resources of a multi-billion dollar company and the energy and independence of a start-up, Hunter Douglas provides a unique entrepreneurial work environment in which passionate, creative, and cutting-edge thinkers can thrive.
About the Job
The primary function of the Sr. Buyer - Planner is to effectively manage long term and short term material planning and purchasing activities associated with the assigned Material Group(s). To ensure that the supply of materials meet the production schedule and minimum stock levels to ensure operational and production continuity. Able to deliver efficient, effective and flexible solutions to meet production requirements. Maintains strong relationships both internally and externally to ensure supply of materials meets requirements.
. · Schedule the supply of materials/components to meet production requirements and minimum safety stock levels
- Plan, develop, implement and evaluate processes for material delivery from supplier to point of fit
- Assess volume requirements against planning assumptions
- Day-to-day order management and management of deliveries
- Understand and manage risks to minimize impact on production schedule
- Take follow up actions in relation to material shortages that affect production
- Implement all processes to agreed standards and targets and support continuous improvement initiatives and identify areas of improvement
- Utilize SAP and ensure that data is accurate and up to date and resolve any issues as required. Analyze materials data for the purpose of developing analytical tools that enhance turns performance and minimize stock outs
- Monitor the integrity of Bill of Materials (BOM) and manage inventory accuracy
- Monitor inventory levels against agreed target levels
- Support inventory checks to validate inventory accuracy
- Minimize obsolete stock and ensure business is left with minimum liability
- Develop and maintain good relationships with suppliers and ensure demand for materials is met and deliveries made on time
- Develop and implement processes and work with suppliers on continuous improvement initiatives
- Support supplier meetings ensure supplier has capacity for forecasted demand
- Resolve supplier concerns and evaluate supplier performance in conjunction with Supply Chain Leadership
- Work with finance to resolve invoicing/payments issues
- Follow up on past due PO’s for the division
- Integrate S&OP in to supply planning
- Commitment to work towards professional accreditation with ASCM
- Previous experience of materials planning in a manufacturing environment
- Good understanding of supply chain processes and their interdependencies
- Understanding of supplier relationships and some experience of working with suppliers
- Strong IT systems knowledge and skills including advanced Excel skills
- Knowledge and experience of using SAP (Material Requirements Planning) systems or similar
- Knowledge of lean techniques may be advantageous
- Adaptability – Ability to perform a variety of tasks and being able to change assignment or direction on short notice
- Communication – The Division Planner/Buyer must be able to express himself or herself clearly and effectively when talking with suppliers and division personnel in person, or by phone; able to speak in front of small groups; able to convey program information with confidence.
- Decision Making and Problem Solving – Identifies problems, gathers data, develops and assesses alternative courses of action, and makes timely decisions based on logical assumptions using all available information
- High Energy – Establish and maintain high activity levels.
- Initiative and Motivation – Actively tries to influence events to achieve department, division and Company objectives and goals. Self-starter who works well without close supervision and takes personal satisfaction in superior job performance.
- Organization – Can establish priorities and course of action for managing multiple tasks in time critical situations under pressure.
- Independence – Takes action based on personal conviction, factual information and intuition. Does not rely solely on the opinion of others to guide them in accomplishing tasks. Takes the initiative, when necessary, to achieve department and division goals.
- Persuasiveness – Uses appropriate and creative methods and styles of communication to gain acceptance of a proposed methods, processes and fabrication division planning objectives.
- Planning – Follows the established course of action, uses resources effectively, uses time efficiently, and is personally well organized. Coordination of set up of PCNs for new product launches and part changes including setting up PIRs. MMPP status management, planning for minimization of financial exposure to discontinued material. Works with suppliers and plants in planning to minimize stock outs, share inventory balances and develop usage information.
- Resilience – Maintains effectiveness and a positive attitude in the face of disappointment, time demands, priority changes or rejection.
- Cooperation – Works well with others, takes time to help internal suppliers and co-workers achieve their objectives and goals.
- Experience – Requires internal purchasing, material planning, and production control experience to coordinate material requirements and distribution throughout the division.
- Software Competency – Must be fluent in standard Microsoft Office applications, specifically Microsoft Excel, and Word. Requires a detailed understanding of SAP material planning and purchasing transactions.