Manufacturing Engineer I
In this role you will have the opportunity to use your technical, analytical and mechanical talents to design new equipment, troubleshoot existing equipment and work on quality and process improvements projects. The Process Engineering team supports manufacturing processes by ensuring safety, efficiency, and innovation for our production personnel, as well as working closely with product engineers to create processes that will continue to enhance the Hunter Douglas product line offerings. Assignments will be challenging but rewarding. To be successful, you will need to be a team player who actively contributes to the group in order to complete tasks, meet goals or manage projects.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and an eye for human centered design and safety
- Works well in a collaborative environment with a customer service mindset
- Willing to continually learn and try new things
- Great attention to detail and troubleshooting skills.
- Understanding of data and strong analytical skills
- Collaborates closely with Operations Team on day to day equipment and quality troubleshooting
- Identify opportunities for improvements in safety, quality, productivity and cost savings.
- Collects and analyzes data to quantify opportunities and work on improving the overall product.
- Uses Siemens NX CAD software to design prototypes and equipment.
- Effectively manages multiple projects and tasks concurrently.
- Utilizes project management tools (project plans, timelines..
- Analyzes existing production and peripheral equipment design and processes to evaluate performance, company safety, and federally mandated equipment guidelines and operator ergonomics. Makes necessary recommendations for new and improved design products or processes.
- Uses test methods to gather data and analyze new and existing production equipment and processes to evaluate quality, efficiency, safety, and operator ergonomics. Identifies opportunities for improvement and develops potential solutions. Works with Engineering and Operations leadership to initiate, test and implement improvement projects.
- Works with Operations personnel to develop procedures and training on new processes, new production equipment, and modifications made to existing processes and equipment.
- Works effectively with outside suppliers and vendors to gather quotes, understand capabilities and complete projects in a timely manner.
- Researches and reviews technological advances that can be incorporated into the workplace through use of trade and industry publications, trade shows and contact with equipment and technology suppliers.
Acceptable Training and Experience:
- Must possess a Mechanical Engineering degree.
- Printing and Waste Water knowledge preferred.
Qualifications and KSA’s:
Solid knowledge of general machinery: motors, drive systems, tension control systems, and pneumatics, unwind / rewind systems, actuators, heating / cooling systems, etc.
Solid knowledge of project management from a conceptual design phase to implementation.
Solid knowledge in developing project plans, including: task lists, timelines, resource requirements & budgets.
Solid knowledge in communicating in both written and verbal form with other Engineers, suppliers and representatives of other departments
Solid knowledge in utilizing CAD software to design mechanical parts & systems (up to complete complex machine assemblies).
Basic knowledge of the design systems and capabilities of PLC’s (Programmable Logic Controls) and principles of automation.
Desired knowledge of web handling production equipment used in the paper, fabric, film and printing industry.
Desired knowledge of the physical properties of fabrics and compositional changes that occur during the manufacturing process.
Desired knowledge of external (OSHA, NFPA, ANSI & ISO) machine safety standards.
Desired knowledge of the principles of electrical wiring to be used on production equipment.
Skill with basic hand tools. Basic machining skills (saws, drills / drill press, mills & lathes).
Ability to build prototypes and complex mechanical systems.
Ability to gather and analyze data to determine cause & effect relationships.
Ability to read and understand mechanical drawings and schematics.
Ability to diagnose & troubleshoot machinery issues.
Hunter Douglas is the world’s leading manufacturer of window coverings. Our strength is our ability to develop innovative, high-quality, proprietary products that can be found in millions of homes and commercial buildings around the globe. Across the board and throughout the world, we have set new standards in research, design and technology. By constantly innovating and pairing our designs with the most elegant performance fabrics, we create long-lasting unique window treatments whose beauty, functionality, durability, and innovation are simply like no other.
About the Window Fashions Division:
Hunter Douglas Window Fashions Division is located in Broomfield, Colorado, midway between Boulder and Denver with outstanding views of the Rockies. The campus encompasses 756,000 square feet of office and manufacturing space. Roughly 1000 employees work at this location to produce proprietary and upscale products such as Duette® Honeycomb Shades,
Benefits of working for Hunter Douglas Window Fashions include:
- 13 days of paid time off accrued yearly and 6 days of PST accrued yearly; 9 paid holidays, 40 hours of new parent and family care time off and 12 hours of paid volunteer work.
- Medical, dental, vision plan, life, STD, LTD, AD&D, dependent life, flexible spending accounts, pre-paid legal, and pet insurance.
- 401(k) with 6% company match and annual retirement contribution, college investment savings program.
- Employee development including education tuition assistance, and on-site development through Hunter Douglas University.
- Robust wellness program; on-site managed fitness center free to employees.
- Generous discount on window coverings.
Anticipated pay range for this role depending on experience- $70,500- $84,400 with a 10% discretionary bonus.
Changeability: Management of Hunter Douglas, Inc. – Window Fashions Division reserves the right to modify, change, or eliminate this job description at any time, with or without notice.