Continuous Improvement Manger
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT MANAGER
Beautiful design, industry-leading innovation, and a highly entrepreneurial global culture - all parts of your daily life at Hunter Douglas, the world’s leader in window fashions and maker of iconic architectural products.
Our nine-decade history has created a legacy of innovations and achievements. Most recently, we're pioneering exciting new digital technologies that transform stylish window treatments into intelligent smart shades for today's connected homes.
With the resources of a multi-billion dollar company and the energy and independence of a start-up, Hunter Douglas provides a unique entrepreneurial work environment in which passionate, creative, and cutting-edge thinkers can thrive.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
The Continuous Improvement (CI) Manager is responsible for implementing lean methodology and continuous improvement tools, processes, and standardization throughout the Fabrication Division. The CI Manager, in conjunction with other division staff, is responsible for writing and enforcing new Standard Work Documents at all work stations. This includes training, certifying, and auditing employees to verify adherence to Standard Work and assure product is built to specifications. The CI Manager researches, plans, trains, executes, and facilitates operational improvement programs ie. Kaizen events, in order to create a culture of continuous improvement and lean manufacturing that leads to associate empowerment, elimination of waste, and improvements in Safety, Quality, Service, Cost, and Employee Engagement. The CI Manager drives the adherence to standard work and the execution of the Lean Management System, as well as introduces process improvements, equipment advances, layout suggestions, and new ideas to help improve SQDC, while teaching and supporting the company mission and core values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engage, enhance, and fully execute the “Hunter Douglas Lean Management System”.
- Lead Kaizen events and continuous improvement projects through cross-functional team facilitation and project management.
- Drive the adherence of standard work and ensures the integration with Lean Management System.
- Working knowledge of lean manufacturing principles and tools (e.g., value stream mapping, Kaizen, Charters, 5S, Gemba walks, LMS, root cause problem solving) to identify and develop solutions that drive operational improvement in Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost.
- Act as primary liaison with steering committees.
- Network with other plant’s lean leaders to leverage programs designed to continually improve operations and eliminate waste, fostering best practice and standardization.
- Provide leadership by mentoring associates in the use of Lean tools, ensuring transfer of knowledge, and creating a culture of continuous improvement.
- Collect and analyze the data on Plant processes, procedures and performance using evaluation tools and make recommendations on improvement opportunities/kaizens.
- Establish collaborative relationship with local plant management.
- Implement and enforce new Standard Work Documents and refresh existing Standard Work, for all work stations and products in the plant.
- Validate newly written Job Instructions and Standard Work for correctness, process, layout, etc.
- Certify, train, and audit employees in use, understanding, and adherence to Standard Work specifications.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a system for updating Standard Work, providing the latest versions at each work station, as well as documenting employee training and certification.
- Review and train employees and management on use of problem solving, quality, and analysis tools.
- Identify process improvement opportunities and implement new ideas, layouts, equipment, jigs, where feasible.
- Ensure processes are followed and consistent product quality is achieved according to internal specifications and external customer expectations.
- Lead Root Cause Corrective Measures (RCCM) activities and quality improvement initiatives, in conjunction with operations/department management, Fabrication Engineering, and Hunter Douglas Brand Team, facilitating contact and follow-up with all support groups, i.e. IT, Maintenance, etc.
- Monitor and implement corrective actions for internal and external Quality by starting and participating in rapid improvement cycles.
- Provide analysis on quality improvement to reduce/eliminate plant controllable errors.
- Contributes to HD Lean Culture of continuous improvement, working with managers, supervisors, and employees, to identify improvement opportunities and implement corrective actions.
- Effectively communicate with management, peers, shifts, support groups, other Hunter Douglas Divisions, and employees throughout the company.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related degree/diploma preferred
- Six Sigma Certification (Green or Black Belt)
- Minimum 3-5 Years of experience in a full-time Lean Manufacturing/Six Sigma role
- Strong working knowledge of Lean Six Sigma tools such as Value Stream Mapping, Process Mapping, Value-add/Non Value-add, Standard Work, Line Balancing, 7 Wastes, hour-by-hour management, gap management, etc.
- Experience leading/facilitating multiple kaizen events/programs and/or key participant role in a large plant lean transformation initiative
- Ability to use data to guide in creating improvement/kaizen plans
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work without close supervision
- Ability to effectively handle multiple projects with track record of successful project completion
- Computer and analytical skills required
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain strong business relationships
- Ability to work independently, making sound decisions regarding daily functions/priorities while reporting non-routine decisions to Management
- Working knowledge of control and quality systems
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills along with superior computer skills, i.e. SAP, BW, Excel, Word, PPTX, Minitab (or other statistical software).
- Excellent communication and teaching skills, with a strong ability to rally employees and teams
- Proven ability to adapt and manage effectively in a changing environment
- Strong understanding of and commitment to manufacturing excellence
- Must be precise with the highest focus on quality and the customer experience