General - The Order Handler position is a non-exempt position responsible for pulling orders preparing orders for shipment and loading trucks in accordance with all related work instructions.
Policy Making Responsibility – The Order Handler will have no policy making responsibility.
Decision Making Responsibility - Routine decisions include, but are not limited to, decisions in regard to pulling orders from inventory.
Supervisory Responsibility – This position has no supervisory responsibility.
Safety – Employees are responsible for individual compliance with all safety rules, regulations and policy procedures. Employee responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Complying with all safety rules and regulations
- Reporting any unsafe practices and/or conditions to their supervisor
- Maintaining floor safety discipline by interceding with fellow employees, who may engage in rule violations and/or unsafe, unhealthy activities
- Communicating to management those employees who persist in violations of safety rules and/or procedures
- Wearing required personal protective equipment properly and reporting any defective PPE
- Reporting all near misses, accidents, injuries or illnesses, including Muscular Skeletal symptoms or disorders
The essential functions of this position may include any or all of the following, to be performed
alone, or with assistance from others:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
A.) Prepares finished stock for shipment by identifying, pulling, packing, crating, loading and securing product
B.) Documents product shipment by recording units shipped.
C.) Maintains inventory by identifying, labeling, and placing materials and supplies in stock and recording the location of inventory.
D.) Documents materials and supplies disposition by recording units delivered and location of units.
E.) Maintains material-handling equipment by completing pre-use inspections and making operator repairs.
F.) Prepares finished stock for shipment by identifying, pulling, packing, crating, loading and securing product.
G.) Ability to use the Fed Ex/UPS machines for shipping.
H.) Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
I.) Other duties as assigned by the Warehouse Supervisor
Essential Job Activities
It is essential that the Material Handler spend 85% of his/her time at a workstation to perform
Essential Physical Demands and Working Conditions2
In this position, the employee will be subjected to physical demands requiring:
- Ability to mid range lift and carry occasionally up to 75 pounds
- Ability to high lift occasionally up to 120 lbs (done with 2 persons)
- Ability to low lift rarely up to 120 lbs (done with 2 persons)
- Ability to pinch occasionally both hand with a force of 27 lbs
- Ability to push/pull occasionally up to 42 lbs, and rarely up to 72 lbs
- Ability to perform standard office body movements2: frequent standing and walking around frequent bending, squatting, stooping, reaching, pulling, pushing
- Ability to use a computer including visual acuity and hand-eye coordination
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in English
- Ability to tolerate moderate office noise levels
- Hours of work – The normal work hours for this position are 8 hour shifts. Overtime might be required.
- Standards for performing essential functions
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective work relationships.
- Ability to communicate information well both in written and verbal form.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Ability to work and keep pace in fast paced environment
- Ability to perform basic computer functions
- Ability to work in a team environment and solicit the assistance of co-workers
- Compliance with Hunter Douglas and Mermet policies and codes of conduct.
The Material Handler position has the following required (or preferred, as indicated) education,experience and skills:
- Required: None
- Preferred: Forklift License
Required: One or more years experience as a Material Handler or Order Handler, with RF experience
Prior forklift experience, preferably Stand-up (Cherry Picker) as well as Sit-down
- Ability to read, write and understand the English language
- Excellent organization skills and problem solving ability
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Must be detail-oriented and pay close attention to accuracy
- Ability to work and keep pace in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work in a team environment and solicit the assistance of other personnel
- Compliance with Hunter Douglas and Mermet policies and codes of conduct
The Order Handler’s performance will be accessed periodically as deemed
necessary by management, but no less than annually. Evaluation criteria will include but will not necessarily be limited to:
Objective measures, including:
- Compliance with Hunter Douglas and Mermet policies, including codes of conduct
- Subjective measures, including
- Department morale
- Degree of efficiency and product knowledge
- Any customer or co-worker feedback
- The above statements are intended to describe the essential responsibilities performed by an employee in this job. It is intended to be a reasonably comprehensive, although not an exhaustive, list of the responsibilities assigned to this employee/position.
- For knowledge statements, according to the Uniform Selection Guidelines issued by the Equal Employment Opportunity.
- Basic: General familiarity; aware of general principles and able to locate details/access resources. Understanding of a determinate number of functions or activities.
- Solid: Working knowledge; able to apply general principles. Understanding of most functions, operations and activities.
- Includes a general knowledge of applicable theory.
- Expert: Able to apply general principles and specific details. Understanding of virtually all functions, operations or activities. Includes full comprehension of applicable theory.
- 2 From “Dictionary of Occupational Titles,” U.S. Department of Labor, 4th Edition, 1991:
- Constantly: activity or condition exists 2/3 or more of the time
- Frequently: activity or condition exists 1/3 to 2/3 of the time
- Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time.