JOB TITLE:MAINTENANCE MANAGER
COMPANY:HUNTER DOUGLAS FABRICATION
SUPERVISOR:DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
Lead a team of Maintenance Technicians to support all functions of the fabrication plant's operation. Ensure that work is completed in accordance with all Safety Policies and Procedures. Manage the maintenance, repair and/or replacement of plant equipment and systems while ensuring maximum production quantity and quality. Perform Maintenance tasks as needed to support the Operation. Coordinate activities of outside contractors as needed for facility Maintenance. Support the policies, goals and objectives of the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively supports the Safety program and may be responsible for administration of specific elements to the entire facility.
- Support equipment ergonomic improvements that reduce employee injury risk. Support machine guarding and risk assessments to proactively eliminate hazards. Provide leadership to all VPP related requirements.
- Provides leadership and development of the Maintenance functionality with SAP. As the subject matter expert, provide training and propose changes that fully leverage the capabilities of the system. Monitor reporting that exposes potential labor and material cost reduction.
- Ensures that Maintenance team complies with all appropriate regulations, permits, rules, policies and procedures (i.e. Federal, State, Corporate, Plant - EEOC, OSHA, EPA, fire, sprinkler system, dust collector, air quality control and storm water).
- Coordinates the Maintenance activities with production departments, facility, outside contractors and equipment manufacturers to ensure uninterrupted plant operations.
- Develops, implements and leads the Preventive Maintenance process to ensure effectiveness in supporting the reliability of the plant's operation.
- Analyzes machine downtime data and develops and implements corrective actions to improve uptime and production processes.
- Assures continuous service of utilities; analyzes and reports cost of utilities and explores alternatives that will result in greater economy, safety, reliability and sustainability.
- Ensures effective implementation of Quality System in Engineering and Maintenance. Coordinate directly with engineering to ensure equipment software upgrades & changes are in place.
- Able to perform structured problem solving. Coordinate and/or support improvement projects across the facility.
- Manages projects such as new equipment, equipment updates and moves, new departmental layouts, facility projects (electrical, HVAC, plumbing etc.).
- Manages facility maintenance – janitorial, HVAC, fork lift, structural (i.e. roof leaks, parking lot, concrete, pavement, etc.), landscaping, front office, lighting, heating, Dish Network and security system.
- Performs functions inherent in all supervisory positions including performance evaluation and Training & Development programs for maintenance technicians. Ensures the availability and implementation of effective training programs. Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of the Maintenance Team. Gives timely feedback and coaching. Provides developmental assignments to achieve high performance.
- Participates in ongoing self-development to insure professional, functional and industry competence.
- Must have ability to occasionally come in on weekends and swing shift when needed.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Familiarity with Continuous Improvement programs such as Lean or Lean Six Sigma and the DMAIC problem solving method.
- Adaptability Able to change assignment or direction on short notice; determines project urgency in a meaningful and practical way. Use goals to guide actions and create action plans.
- Articulate Communication Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing to a diverse workforce and customer base.
- Decision Making and Problem Solving identifies problems, gathers data, develops and asses courses of action, and makes timely decisions or recommendations based upon logical assumptions using all available data.
- Coaching, Training and Mentoring able to broaden and cross train skills of department staff.
- High Energy- maintains high activity level and effectiveness on an ongoing basis.
- Independence takes action based on personal conviction and intuition; does not rely solely on the opinion of others for guidance or decisions.
- Initiative and Motivation actively influences events positively to achieve objectives and goals; works well without close supervision; and takes personal satisfaction in job performance.
- Leadership Able to persuade and influence, demonstrate integrity, communicate and motivate, innovate and implement strategic vision, demonstrate drive and tenacity.
- Organization and Planning can establish priorities and courses of action for managing multiple tasks; plans resources and schedule team and tasks. Uses time efficiently and is personally well organized.
- Persuasiveness uses creative and appropriate methods of communication and influence to gain acceptance of proposals or outcomes.
Supervise a team of maintenance technicians.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience:
- A Bachelors’ degree in mechanical and/or electrical engineering or at least 10 years of experience is required in the Maintenance Manager Role. Additional experience in project management and supervision of direct reports within a production environment is highly desirable.
- Expertise in Safety, Health & Regulatory requirements and adherance to safety policies and OSHA/Cal-OSHA requirements.
- At least 3-4 years experience leading teams in a production environment consisting of mechanics and electrical technicians.
- At least 5 years experience in the electrical/electronics, mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic fields and the ability to demonstrate high proficiency in these areas.
- A thorough knowledge of electrical/electronic components and equipment including the use of special instruments for diagnostic purposes.
- Strong knowledge of Ergonomics and Lean Manufacturing. A working knowledge of MS Office, AutoCAD, & Preventive Maintenance Systems.
- Experience with scissor lifts, basic hand tools, volt meters and reading/understanding of electrical schematics.
- Experience and ability to work with constant interruptions and in a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
- Ability to climb in overhead structures, to work beneath machines and in close quarters performing analysis and repair work.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedure/product manuals and safety rules. Ability to write general reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages and square footage.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to fingers, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
There are no unusual working conditions associated with this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts.
The employee may be exposed to wet or humid, outdoor weather conditions, to extremely dusty environments and exposure to chemicals used in the process.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The Maintenance Manager is accountable for the outlined job description and responsibilities. From time-to-time the outlined job description may vary due to the Company’s internal and external needs.