Retail Marketing Material Development Director
As the Director of Retail Marketing Material Development you will lead a team of dedicated and knowledgeable individuals, charged with developing a best-in-class suite of tangible marketing tools including sample books, hand samples, display shades, and other merchandising materials that support our key retail stakeholders. These sample materials bring our products to life for consumers and although extremely complex, they are also beautiful. You will be the innovation evangelist, solving what is typically a functional need through innovative design and advanced material selection. In this role you will play an integral part in mining insights from the end users and then leading the team in creating new marketing and sampling devices with ever-improved usability, persuasiveness, and cost effectiveness.
- You have a proven track record of implementing innovative new ideas and then bringing them to market.
- You are a thought-leader and are able to mine consumer insights and convert them into practical and marketable solutions. You are also well versed in conducting and analyzing research.
- You have an appreciation and comprehensive knowledge of how design aesthetics and functionality combine to create effective marketing solutions.
- You can motivate direct reports and you create a climate in which people want to do their best.
- You have strong negotiation skills, vendor relationship skills, and can be direct as well as diplomatic.
- You have strategic agility and can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately with broad knowledge and perspective.
- You can present to more senior management and executive leadership.
Directs all activities associated with the company’s sampling programs including, but not limited to
- Innovative design development
- Strategic planning
- Consumer usability research and testing
- Collaboration with internal Hunter Douglas creative/design team
- Vendor management and oversight and pricing negotiation
- Cost optimization and management of a multi-million dollar sampling budget
- Team supervision and development
- Materials and finished inventory management
Lead efforts to study key retail stakeholders' use of our sampling materials and identify opportunities for year-to-year design improvements. Translate how found insights can be incorporated into advanced, go-forward materials and sample device designs. Leverage and apply insights across Hunter Douglas sampling materials and deploy across the enterprise.
Lead the sampling team in working collaboratively with the internal design team, vendors, product groups and other customers to define scope, timelines, deliverables and specifications for sampling projects.
Acceptable Training and Experience:
- 4-year degree holder in related fields such as industrial design or marketing/business with 10-15 plus years of previous experience in industrial design, marketing, or a related product/innovation development function.
- Previous experience with marketing/sampling materials and knowledge of manufacturing highly desired.
- Additional work experience with dealer and sales organization(s) desirable.
Qualifications and KSA’s:
Exceptional leadership, organizational, and facilitation skills with deep understanding of the creative development process.
Strong relationship management and negotiation skills.
Advanced emotional intelligence capabilities, with the keen ability to read situations quickly and find common ground, gaining cooperation with buy-in.
Comfortable in both corporate and manufacturing environments.
Strong ability to effectively lead teams in prioritizing and managing multiple, highly visible projects.
Exceptional verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
Ability to make decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure.
Superior supervisory skill set: able to provide challenging tasks and assignments, hold frequent development discussions and create compelling development plans for direct reports..
Hunter Douglas is the world’s leading manufacturer of window coverings. Our strength is our ability to develop innovative, high-quality, proprietary products that can be found in millions of homes and commercial buildings around the globe. Across the board and throughout the world, we have set new standards in research, design and technology. By constantly innovating and pairing our designs with the most elegant performance fabrics, we create long-lasting unique window treatments whose beauty, functionality, durability, and innovation are simply like no other.
About the Window Fashions Division:
Hunter Douglas Window Fashions Division is located in Broomfield, Colorado, midway between Boulder and Denver with outstanding views of the Rockies. The campus encompasses 756,000 square feet of office and manufacturing space. Roughly 1000 employees work at this location to produce proprietary and upscale products such as Duette® Honeycomb Shades,
Benefits of working for Hunter Douglas Window Fashions include:
- Generous paid time off that accrues immediately; 11 paid holidays, new parent and family care time off and 12 hours of paid volunteer work.
- Medical, dental, vision plan, life, STD, LTD, AD&D, dependent life, flexible spending accounts, pre-paid legal, and pet insurance.<span
- 401(k) with 6% company match and annual retirement contribution, college investment savings program.
- Employee development including education tuition assistance, and on-site development through Hunter Douglas University.
- Robust wellness program; on-site managed fitness center free to employees.
- Generous discount on window coverings.<span
- Charitable contribution match, employee assistance program, adoption assistance, dependent scholarships, on-site physical therapists and more!