Senior Director, Engineering
Senior Director, Engineering
Fabrication Division ~ Broomfield, Colorado
Hunter Douglas has a unique business model. We are structured by division, based on product or function, with a vertically integrated supply chain. This role is open due to the upcoming retirement of the incumbent, and will have the critical responsibility to act as the liaison between our product engineering teams and the teams responsible for the artisan assembly of the final product, delivered custom-made to the consumer. The quality of the final product relies heavily on the quality of the design of the product. Launching product into production requires careful thought and preparation across a variety of teams; the Sr. Director of Engineering brings this all together. This role requires extensive technical knowledge but also the ability to mentor and develop a strong team. You will build relationships across the organization in a high profile role with the true ability to impact the success of Hunter Douglas.
The Senior Director of Engineering directs the consolidated Divisional Engineering functions of Process Engineering, Packaging Design, Facilities Engineering and New Machinery Design & Development (including Automation).
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (preferably Mechanical). Master’s Degree is preferred. Ten plus years of experience in Engineering/ Product Development with a minimum of 5 years of management experience within engineering with demonstrated areas of increasing responsibility. Experience with ISO standards in applying to business operations. Position requires regular travel (40%) to fabrication plants and related locations.
- Solid knowledge of the principles of management and leadership; demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others; create high performance team; provide employee coaching and development; commitment to company values.
- Expert knowledge of the principles of Industrial and Mechanical Engineering.
- Expert knowledge of communication skills, particularly, preparing written correspondence, justification of engineering projects and budgets.
- Expert knowledge of report writing and documentation of design changes and modifications.
- Expert knowledge in developing and maintaining effective work relationships; interface internally and externally to ensure successful, high-quality outcomes.
- Expert knowledge of the principles of the safe operation of each piece of production equipment.
- Solid knowledge of business finance to estimate and manage project costs; return on investments.
- Solid knowledge of computer use and software such as, Word, Excel, Power Point and CAD systems.
- Solid knowledge of the full product line that is being produced and work processes involved with production.
- Solid knowledge of machining to be able to design and build an equipment part or machine utilizing the most economical and durable goods.
- Solid knowledge to trouble shoot equipment malfunctions.
- Solid knowledge to read and understand technical drawings and equipment schematics
What you will do:
Manages projects initiated through various sources including but not limited to the strategic planning process. Defines project scope, develops and manages schedule and budget, identifies needed resources, ensures projects are executed according to plan. Effectively puts plans into action, monitors plans and responds appropriately to changing opportunities. Develops and prepares project timelines and project budgets (including as needed an AFE) for new product line introductions, improvements to existing lines, capacity upgrades and network plant reconfigurations. Maintains a system for budget and schedule control. Frequently communicates with staff to determine project status and accommodations to be made to the project timeline.
Manages the Process Engineering efforts to support equipment design, tool identification and process development for numerous product lines. Coordinates closely with Product Management, Product Engineering, Process Engineering, Quality and Fabrication Operations on all process development projects. Works to determine production feasibility and operational impacts for process development initiatives.
Manage, coach and develops members of the Engineering team. Actively mentors and provides guidance to engineers and technical staff. Assists in developing leadership and technical skills. Promote and help maintain a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement.
Partners with the management team, sales, customer service and customers, and all others to ensure the overall achievement of business plan objectives. Interacts with representatives of other departments involved with assigned projects to provide status updates as appropriate. Responsible for timely decision making and solid communication necessary to maintain smooth operations within the team and with other departments.
Prepares the yearly Fabrication Capital and related expense budget and justifications for the department. May formally present budget information for the department with the Executive Team.
Manages efforts to improve safety, quality and cost savings in all areas. Identifies, quantifies and prioritizes improvement opportunities. Establishes project plans and helps to guide and drive projects to completion.
Benefits of working for Hunter Douglas
- Accrued paid time off based on years of service, 6 weeks paid parental leave and other family time off benefits available
- Medical, Dental, Vision plan, Life insurance, STD, LTD, AD&D, Dependent life, Flexible Spending Accounts, and Pet insurance.
- 401(k) with 6% company match and annual retirement contribution
- Employee development including education tuition assistance
- Robust wellness program with monthly company wellness challenges.
- Generous discount on window coverings, charitable contribution match, employee assistance program, dependent scholarships, and more!
Hiring Range: $184,000 - $219,030 + discretionary bonus