Technical Communication Associate Manager
Our tech writing team is an essential part of our manufacturing success. This team not only creates work instructions for operations but also creates consumer-facing documents such as reference guides. Our tech writers are involved in every step of the creation of technical documents including taking and editing photos and videos. The work we do is complex and rewarding. The goal of the new Associate Manager will be to help the department evolve in efficiency and technology. This would be an opportunity to be a part of reshaping how Hunter Douglas approaches technical writing and you can help take this talented team to a new level of excellence. You are someone that drives and embraces change while establishing strong working relationships that are based on trust. You are looking to use your tech-savvy, leadership skills, and strong technical writing background to drive improvements and make a positive impact. You are a hands-on technical writer with a continuous improvement mindset.
The JobEnsures the timely, high-quality production of reference guides, standard work instructions, installation instructions, fabrication manuals, videos, and/or other technical documentation and technical media. Plays an integral role in the development of team members by providing insight, guidance, and training, including leading/supervising a staff of technical writers. Develops, writes, edits and updates numerous pieces of written text documentation and graphics related to production processes, product installation, product repair and maintenance, and /or marketing collateral according to predetermined timelines.
- Researches new programs and software to ensure the department can meet the rapidly changing needs of the organization.
- Responsible for working with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to obtain product information through interviews, observation, and engineering notes in order to create and present technical information in a format that is visually appealing, while accomplishing its communicative goal.
- Reviews the development of all writers; coaches and mentors each technical writer to achieve both individual and company goals.
- Reviews technical documentation and media as needed to ensure that high-quality standards are consistently achieved.
- Works with the Leadership team to implement changes to formats and/or procedures as required to meet quality and performance standards.
- Uses HTML to create web-based reference materials.
- Performs digital photography and “processes” photos with a variety of software programs.
- Communicates on a frequent basis with representatives of the business functions and departments.
- Incorporates text, illustration, digital photography, video, and other media to effectively communicate technical data or represent marketing goals.
- Utilizes computer-aided design systems to manipulate raw illustrations for export and inclusion within manuals and installation instructions.
- Offers creative approaches and ideas for improvements in software used and all product-related technical material.
- Fosters a creative team atmosphere and is receptive to the ideas of others.
- Provides ongoing skill instruction and coaching to other writers within the team. Readily shares information and skills in a strong team environment.
Acceptable Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Journalism, English or a closely related field is required.
- Three to five years of related experience is required.
- Additional course work in supervisory training, coaching, and mentoring skills would be beneficial Leadership experience within a work team environment is required.
- A demonstrated willingness to pursue continuing education in the area of product information and computer-based technology is required.
- Professional Association membership for skill and technological enhancement is encouraged.
- Expert knowledge of how to creatively incorporate new ideas and approaches in the presentation of technical information.
- Expert knowledge of the following software packages such as (but not limited to), Lightroom, Adobe Framemaker, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Smartsheet, Premier Pro and/or Final Cut Pro, Adobe Acrobat, Google Suite, and other related software.
- Expert knowledge of grammar, punctuation, spelling and sentence construction.
- Expert knowledge of document layout and formatting for print and other media.
- Expert knowledge of document pre-press and print production.
- Solid knowledge of document, graphics, video and other media file types and conversion capabilities in a PC environment.
- Solid knowledge of the photography and manipulation of digital images for technical media.
- Solid knowledge and demonstrated experience in researching, writing and preparing both technical and/or marketing for print and online media.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective work relationships with team members and SMEs.
- Ability to author, update, proofread, edit, maintain and archive project-related documents.
- Ability to gather information and work with SMEs from at all levels within the business organization.
- Ability to be a hands-on learner; proactive in learning advanced software.
- Ability to be inquisitive and experimental in learning and comprehending product fabrication, use, operation, and repair.
- Ability to work with internal departments in copy edit and review process.
- Ability to communicate and simplify complex subjects for audiences with differing levels of experience and understanding.
- Ability to work with the translation of prepared text and drawings for a multi-lingual format.
- Ability to learn new technologies and incorporate them into work processes.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals and mechanical and electrical schematic drawings.
About Hunter Douglas:
Hunter Douglas is the world’s leading manufacturer of window coverings. Our strength is our ability to develop innovative, high-quality, proprietary products that can be found in millions of homes and commercial buildings around the globe. Across the board and throughout the world, we have set new standards in research, design and technology. By constantly innovating and pairing our designs with the most elegant performance fabrics, we create long-lasting unique window treatments whose beauty, functionality, durability, and innovation are simply like no other.
To view a video about Hunter Douglas’ history of innovation please click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QS3ljwG2jw
About the Window Fashions Division:
Hunter Douglas Window Fashions Division is located in Broomfield, Colorado, midway between Boulder and Denver with outstanding views of the Rockies. The campus encompasses 756,000 square feet of office and manufacturing space. Roughly 1000 employees work at this location to produce proprietary and upscale products such as Duette® Honeycomb Shades,
Benefits of working for Hunter Douglas Window Fashions include:
- Generous paid time off that accrues immediately; 11 paid holidays, new parent and family care time off and 12 hours of paid volunteer work.
- Medical, dental, vision plan, life, STD, LTD, AD&D, dependent life, flexible spending accounts, pre-paid legal, and pet insurance.
- 401(k) with 6% company match and annual retirement contribution, college investment savings program.
- Employee development including education tuition assistance, and on-site development through Hunter Douglas University.
- Robust wellness program; on-site managed fitness center free to employees.
- Generous discount on window coverings.
- Charitable contribution match, employee assistance program, adoption assistance, dependent scholarships, on-site physical therapists and more!