Mechanical Engineering Technician
We are looking for a motivated individual to work with and support our process engineering group. In this role, you will participate in the design, testing of prototypes and building process of various equipment that is related to existing product lines, line extensions and new products for all divisions of Hunter Douglas, Inc.
Skilled in working with your hands
Creative and resourceful
Acceptable training and experience:
A technical degree in Computer Drafting/Mechanical Engineering would be beneficial.
Previous machine shop experience is highly desirable.
- Uses computer aided design software to work with concepts to design mechanical equipment and parts for use on production equipment.
- Participates in the building of prototypes of production equipment in various mediums such as, wood, metal or plastic from prepared drawings and schematics. May machine parts for use in the building of the equipment. May use MIG, TIG, oxyacetylene or arc welding to fashion equipment parts.
- Performs basic wiring of motors, PLC’s (Programmable Logic Controllers) and motion controllers for use on production equipment.
- Conducts various operational tests with the prototypes. Trouble shoots along with the help of a department Engineer those problems experienced with the equipment and production processes. Documents results obtained during the testing process.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
- Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
- May work with Buyers to source suppliers for prototype building and equipment needs.
- Trains Equipment Operators in the safe operation of production equipment that has been designed, built and tested by the Special Projects Group.
- Assists other Engineers within the department in performing additional duties.
Knowledge of the use and operational experience working with machine shop equipment such as grinder, drill press, mill, lathe and various hand tools.
Knowledge of prototype building within various mediums such as, metals, woods and resins.
Knowledge of the principles of Mechanical Engineering.
Knowledge of the principles of shop math.
Knowledge of, and experience with electrical wiring. Knowledge of Ohms and Watts Law.
Knowledge of, and experience with, welding such as, MIG, TIG, or oxyacetylene.
Knowledge of motor capacity needs for use in the design and building of production equipment.
Knowledge of AC/DC motors.
Knowledge of the principles of pneumatics and hydraulics when determining control and tension points as used in the operational design of equipment
Knowledge of the programming of PLC’s and functions and applications when used in the design of production equipment.
Knowledge of computer use and software such as, Word and CAD.
Skill in developing and maintaining effective work relationships.
Ability to safely use and operate such equipment as, welding equipment, lathes and various hand tools.
Ability to read and understand schematics and technical drawings.
About Hunter Douglas:
Beautiful design, industry-leading innovation, and a highly entrepreneurial global culture – all parts of your daily life at Hunter Douglas, the world’s leader in home furnishings and maker of iconic architectural products.
Our 100-year history has created a legacy of innovations and achievements. Most recently, we're pioneering exciting new digital technologies that transform stylish window treatments into intelligent smart shades for today's connected homes.
With the resources of a multi-billion dollar company, and the energy and independence of a start-up, Hunter Douglas provides a unique entrepreneurial work environment in which passionate, creative, and cutting-edge thinkers thrive.
At the heart of Hunter Douglas is our brand purpose – Transforming the Light in the Home. This purpose is felt throughout the entire business. We all strive to communicate to the customer the emotional benefit of investing in Hunter Douglas products by contextualizing the role of the products in the customers’ lives.