You just had a great day at work! You came in and spent some time brainstorming and collaborating with 2 of your instructional design coworkers. Not only did you learn something new in that meeting but you were able to give them some ideas they hadn’t thought of. Then you were off to talk with a product team to learn a little more about a new enhancement that requires a training to be developed. The content you get from them is going to be part of a course for our internal customer service group to help them with technical customer calls. While at your desk working on course design you take some time to review feedback on an instructor lead course you just implemented for the customer service group; the comments are fantastic. Your efforts have really helped them to gain confidence and skills they needed in order to provide excellent service. You also came up with a great idea for enhancing the course in the future because of the feedback you received. You spent your day creating, sharing, interacting, advising, designing and evaluating. Not only did you continue to grow and learn professionally but you were able to assist others to do the same. You are surrounded by people who are passionate about the work they do in a company that is investing in learning and development of its employees. Does that sound like your great day? Then the Instructional Designer role is what you are looking for.
Acceptable Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technologies or related field or equivalent experience and proven capabilities.
- Relevant industry/professional certifications or credentials preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experience in Instructional Design and Technologies.
The Instructional Designer will be responsible for analyzing, designing, developing and evaluating training to improve organizational effectiveness using a variety of training tools and techniques. This position will perform needs analysis and suggests instructional approach; estimate timeline and resources; design and develop SCORM compliant eLearning courses using multiple media and eLearning-authoring applications; administer production, quality control and implementation. Work with Learning and Development Mangers and SME(s) to meet their Learning requirements. Analyze learning data with standard statistical methods, interpret results, and provide written and oral summaries of analysis. Identifies opportunities to improve business functionality through the use of analytic models.
- Learn and understand all technology programs in order to administer the design and deployment of learning courses for WBT and ILT training.
- Design, develop and implement learning modules to support Learning and Development training initiatives by applying appropriate instructional design methods and continuously update existing learning modules
- Manage course design and review process using established design and editing guidelines to ensure accurate and on-time delivery of learning modules
- Administers voice-over audio and video production for elearning modules. Records and edits webinars for use on the LMS and for other purposes.
- Create web-based and instructor lead training that integrates with Learning and Development’s large scope blended training solutions as well as single learning modules.
- Partner with Training Managers and project team to ensure that learning modules support the business objectives and the goals of the Learning and Development Group
- Use industry standard tools to create and upload courses that are LMS compliant. Research and stay current on industry standard tools used to produce eLearning
- Act as expert for the learning-authoring applications providing necessary guidance and directions related to the use of the software and instructional design of learning modules for Project Team, Subject Matter Experts (SME) and Training Managers.
- Work with LMS Technology Specialist to develop and maintain a process to upload courses online in the LMS format.
- Participate in the packaging and creation of training aids, manuals, workbooks and other learning tools as needed. Be able to participate in set up for trade shows, fabricator meetings, on site meetings, sales meetings, etc.
- Attends national trade shows and corporate meetings as needed to conduct presentations of Hunter Douglas, Inc., Window Fashion products to attendees.
- Assists in any capacity in responding to situations that may arise during the phase of planning, scheduling, and actual training session.
- Assist in any capacity in responding to situations with Learning and Development or other Hunter Douglas training programs as needed.
Expert knowledge on how to organize and prioritize multiple projects at various stages of progress
Expert knowledge to organize and prioritize multiple projects at various stages of progress
Expert knowledge to utilize creative thinking and problem solving techniques to resolve problems encountered on a daily basis
Expert knowledge of eLearning technology standards (list includes: SCORM, AICC, IMS, and Microsoft LRN)
Expert knowledge of eLearning course authoring applications such as: Storyline 360, Lectora Publisher, Captivate, etc.
Expert knowledge of graphics technology programs such as: Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
Expert knowledge of presentation and simulation tools such as: Articulate Presenter, Articulate Engage, Camtasia Studio, Breeze, Adobe Captivate, etc.
Expert knowledge of video production, editing and distribution of video products.
Expert knowledge of audio recording, editing and processing techniques; Audacity software
Expert knowledge of learning styles and curricula design
Solid knowledge in at least one of the following LMS technology applications such as: Expertusone (preferred), Saba, SumTotal, Plateau, geoLearning
Solid knowledge in at least one of the following LCMS technology applications such as: Learn Cube, Skillsoft, Grovo, etc.
Solid knowledge of project management and the ability to coordinate a high level of activity under a variety of conditions and constraints
Solid knowledge of general business practices and operations
Solid knowledge of how to motivate Learning and Development members, consultants and representatives of other functional departments within the company to follow through on the goals of the yearlong training sessions
Solid knowledge of correct grammar usage to compose and proofread training materials for spelling, sentence construction and punctuation errors
Solid knowledge of computer use and applications such as, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Solid knowledge in establishing and maintaining effective work relationships
Solid knowledge to conduct presentations before large groups of people
Ability of the graphic design and printing industry to be able to work with outside consultants
Ability to use and operate various audiovisual equipment