Senior Industrial Engineer
Senior Industrial Engineer
As our Industrial engineer, you will use your creativity, knowledge, leadership, and passion for process improvement every day. The goal of this position is to find and make improvements on labor standards and process layouts for several of our fabrication facilities. The Hunter Douglas operations and engineering teams will depend on your ability to understand processes, decrease waste in the value stream, decrease complexity, improve work process efficiency and quality, and increase value throughout the organization. You would be the sole Industrial engineer at this location and will play an integral role in Influencing and leading our teams towards positive change using data to support your findings; we need your expertise. This will be a challenging position and to be successful, you will need to perform labor standard studies, mathematical modeling techniques, deploy Lean Manufacturing concepts and communicate your ideas accurately and persuasively to all levels of the organization. In addition, you will work with a great team who values your knowledge and are excited to enact change. You will also travel domestically to see various products, processes and plants.
About Hunter Douglas:
Hunter Douglas is the world’s leading manufacturer of window coverings. Our strength is our ability to develop innovative, high-quality, proprietary products that can be found in millions of homes and commercial buildings around the globe. Across the board and throughout the world, we have set new standards in research, design and technology. By constantly innovating and pairing our designs with the most elegant performance, materials, we create long-lasting unique window treatments whose beauty, functionality, durability, and innovation are simply like no other. With the resources of a multi-billion dollar company and the energy and independence of a start-up, Hunter Douglas provides a unique entrepreneurial work environment in which passionate, creative, and cutting-edge thinkers can thrive.
To view a video about Hunter Douglas’ history of innovation please click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QS3ljwG2jw
- Collect data, improve, and revamp labor standard and process layouts.
- Review production schedules, engineering specifications, process flows, and other information to understand and improve methods.
- Improve fabrication processes by performing direct time studies, MOST method studies, data-mine data from an Oracle data base, and utilize Excel VBA to create earned labor standards by operation.
- Create department equipment capacity mathematical models and simulations.
- Develop reporting to service Finance, Production and Senior Management
- Learning software development in Oracle 11g and VB .NET
- Enact quality control procedures to resolve production problems or minimize costs
- Design control systems to coordinate activities and production planning in order to ensure that products meet quality standards
- Confer with operations about product specifications, vendors about purchases, management personnel about manufacturing capabilities, and staff about the status of projects.
- Up to 40% travel required
Acceptable Training and Experience:
- Industrial Engineering Degree, Manufacturing Systems Engineering Degree or Equivalent Experience.
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing, Lean Management and Continuous Improvement
- Previous experience in Custom Fabrication. Fabrication of Blinds, Shades or Shutters is a plus
- Experience performing labor standards, Excel skills, experience with simulation software a plus
Qualifications and KSA’s:
- Advanced Knowledge in Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma principles
- Knowledge of production processes, costs, quality control, raw materials and other methods for maximizing the efficient manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Advanced knowledge of machines and tools, their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
- Ability to design and understand precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings and models
- Knowledge of the ways various systems interact and how changes in operations, the environment and other conditions will affect the outcome
- Strong ability to use creativity and ingenuity to design new production processes in an effort to improve efficiency and quality
- Advanced skill and knowledge in problem-solving and continuous improvement related to waste and inefficiency.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, and suggest multiple solutions.
- Ability to collaborate in teams with cross-functional groups and operations employees at all levels. Solicit feedback from customers, vendors, and production staff and actively listen to discover problems and solutions
- Strong Math skills in the principles of calculus, trigonometry, and other advanced topics in mathematics for analysis, design, and troubleshooting.
- Skill in clearly and concisely presenting and explaining instructions and ideas to production staff, technicians and leadership
- Strong writing skills with ability to prepare accurate well written documentation for others to review and use.
Benefits of working for Hunter Douglas Fabrication include:
- Generous paid time off that accrues immediately; 9 paid holidays.
- Medical, dental, vision plan, life, STD, LTD, AD&D, dependent life, flexible spending accounts, pre-paid legal, and pet insurance.
- 401(k) with 6% company match and annual retirement contributions.
- Employee discount on window coverings.
- Charitable contribution match, employee assistance program, dependent scholarships.