Sr. Product Development Engineer - Motorization
Position: Sr. Product Development Engineer - Motorization
Location: Atlanta, GA
Reports to: Sr. Manager, R&D
LEVOLOR Window Fashions, Inc. is a leading manufacturer and marketer of custom and sizable window covering products including blinds and shades. LEVOLOR is part of the Hunter Douglas family of companies and is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. Founded in 1914, we are committed to delivering innovative, high quality products to consumers under the most recognized brand in our industry today.
Levolor is undergoing an exciting transformation and we’re looking for an experienced, enthusiastic Senior Product Development Engineer. This is a full-time opportunity.
This position is a part of a R&D engineering team responsible for new product development in the window coverings business. Primary responsibilities include ideation and development of new products through a stage gate process and implementing improvements to existing products. The position reports to the Engineering Manager, R&D.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead new product development projects from concept though production launch.
- Research, design, analyze, fabricate, test, evaluate, modify, verify, validate and qualify motorization/automation for window coverings.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (R&D, Brand, Test lab, Operations, Sourcing, and others) to research and understand consumer and customer wants/needs, benchmark competitive products, and develop innovative products that are cost effective and meet those wants/needs.
- Prioritize safety by overseeing and ensuring NPD, productivity, and quality improvements meet and exceed regulatory compliance standards
- Optimize product designs (e.g., fit, function, interference, tolerance stack ups, etc.) for manufacturability.
- Ensure new products meet fit, function (performance), and quality requirements (DFMEA, DVP&R, gage R&R as well as supporting PFMEA, Control Plans, DOE and PPAP).
- Develop product prototypes and perform product testing for internal evaluation as well as for customer and consumer testing/feedback.
- Create and update product and quality specifications, test plans, sample plans, trial logs, timelines, project trackers, and other key documents.
- Lead manufacturing trials, testing, measurements, and related documentation from initial engineering trials through production qualification. Evaluate results and propose/lead changes to product design, tooling, and/or process.
- Travel as needed in the US, Mexico and Asia (typically up to 20%).
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering preferred).
- Experience with manufacturing environments in the US, Mexico and Asia
- Experience with product development using a stage gate process
- Experience with CAD software (SolidWorks).
- Experience integrating motorization and automation in existing products.
- Experience with various manufacturing processes including; injection molding, extrusion, metal stamping/forming, powder coating, fabric production and construction, plastic application and assembly methods.
- Experience with evaluating the quality of 3D models (both CAD and hard prototypes) to confirm design criteria, function, fit and finish, as well as safety requirements.
- Proven track record of leading successful launches of consumer goods (on-time, on-cost, on-specification).
- Proven record of strong creativity and a sense of passion for product design.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and strong problem solving skills.
- Effective planning/organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to multi-task and set priorities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Required education: Bachelor of Science in Engineering- (Mechanical Engineering preferred)
Experience: 7 to 10 years
Job Type: Full-time
- Mechanical Engineering: 7 to 10 years
- Product Development: 3 to 5 years
- Window Coverings Industry experience preferred.
LEVOLOR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.