Position: Manager R&D
Location: Atlanta, GA
Reports to: Sr. Manager R&D
LEVOLOR Window Fashions, Inc. is a leading manufacturer and marketer of custom and sizable window covering products including blinds and shades. LEVOLOR is part of the Hunter Douglas family of companies and is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. Founded in 1914, we are committed to delivering innovative, high quality products to consumers under the most recognized brand in our industry today.
This is a job summary which includes essential job duties of this position. More specific information regarding duties may be provided upon request.
This position is responsible for leading a team of engineers on new product development (NPD) and sustaining product engineering for a key product category within LEVOLOR. Primary responsibilities include technical oversight of design and development of new products via New Product Development Stage-Gate process.
- Management of Technical Development Staff: Responsible for managing a team of product engineers to deliver key new product development projects. Provide team development through mentoring, coaching, and constructive feedback to direct reports. Assist in preparing annual budget and manage/track spending.
- Management of Product Design Engineering: Responsible for leadership on optimizing product design for mechanical function (e.g., fit, function, interference, stacking, etc.) and manufacturability; product specification (CAD, 2D drawings with critical dimensions, material specification, color specification, quality specifications, and performance specification/test plan); developing and evaluating cost analysis for new and modified product designs through production launch.
- Management of Projects: Drive projects to achieve time, cost, capital, and performance deliverables. Lead planning and coordination of engineering tasks for new product development projects and activities as part of cross-function development team. Implement new products from concept through launch. Manage product development timeline, project expense and capital budgets, and risk mitigation plan. Lead development of manufacturing both North American domestic internal plants and Asian supply partners. Participate in regular project and monthly Product Development update meetings for product category.
- Management of Product Maintenance: Responsible for technical support to operations and outside vendors in solving product quality problems with existing products as well as cost reduction projects.
- Innovation: Drive innovation with leading edge product/process technologies to create patentable products with sustainable competitive advantages. Work with Legal resources to coordinate activities and strategies as well as screening and evaluating competitive patents. Champion ideation for product category based on consumer insights.
- Cross Functional Interaction: The role has direct responsibilities for the technical interface and collaboration with cross functional leaders in Marketing, Sourcing, Operations, Program Management and Finance. Required to work cooperatively with peers to drive future product plans, and manage resource requirements.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering required (Mechanical Engineering preferred). Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of product development leadership and project management experience in a stage-gate product development environment with evidence of successful product launches.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a large number of projects through a team of direct reports in a cross functional environment. Organizational skills, drive for results, and extremely high levels of personal accountability are required.
- Fundamental knowledge of metal, wood, plastic and/or woven materials. Processing and fabricating methods of components in each of these materials is strongly desired.
- Working knowledge of Teamcenter, Solidworks and SAP is strongly desired.
- Evidence of strong problem solving skills including identify problems, potential problems, and developing solutions.
- Proven track record of creativity and innovation.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, writing, planning, and presentation skills and demonstrated the ability to lead by direct control and influence for positive business outcomes.
- Experience in working with Asian suppliers/partners on new product development is required.
- Window Coverings Industry experience preferred
LEVOLOR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply