Product Sustaining Engineer
PRODUCT ENGINEER I
There is something unique and exciting about working in consumer goods, especially when you are directly responsible for the functionality, quality, and performance of the product. It is even more exciting when the product you are responsible for is the leader in their industry. Hunter Douglas is the leader and innovator in the custom window covering market and we need you to help develop and maintain our industry leading product!
In this role you will have the opportunity to use your technical, analytical and mechanical talents to implement solutions for product improvement and sustaining activities. You will analyze problems, determine root cause, and implement design changes to resolve known issues to improve quality. Take designs from prototype to implementation while interacting with numerous functional groups including product managers, design engineering, process engineering, and project management. You will be responsible for setting goals and understanding the objective to achieve those goals.
To be successful, you will need to be a team player who actively contributes to the group in order to complete tasks, meet goals or manage projects. Communicate accurately and professionally to all levels of the organization. In addition, you will work with a great team, feel valued by your customers and peers.
• Examine and analyze mechanical components, mechanisms, and part assemblies for design improvements associated with quality issues.
• Use parametric 3D CAD software (Siemens NX), to refine designs and release drawings as necessary.
• Establish and define design requirements, test acceptance criteria, test methods, and establish parameters to determine safety, durability, and feasibility.
• Oversee any prototype component tooling and product testing.
• Functional collaboration between product and project management, purchasing, process engineering, and management for product improvements.
• Coordinate root cause analysis and manage communication of conclusions and recommended direction for short term and long term solutions.
• Conducts audits, tests, inspections and data collection to validate the effectiveness of design changes.
• Develops and prepares project timelines and budgets for assigned projects.
• Uses primary design skills revolving around plastic injection molding along with aluminum and plastic extrusions and mechanical assemblies.
Design resource - lead or support on major projects for the quality improvement of current products.
• Lead team-based projects using a problem solving approach to collect data, identify and test root causes to determine and verify improvements. Leads/coordinates the design changes required to execute the improvement.
• Examine and analyze mechanical components, mechanisms, and part assemblies for design improvements.
Manage the redesign and coordinate the launch of product quality improvements.
• Conducts design reviews, produces tolerance stack-up analysis, and validates data with statistical analysis to ensure robust design.
• Conceptualizes design modifications to solve quality issues or achieve other given specifications.
• Prototype, validate, and optimize designs using rapid prototyping methods, including 3D printing.
• Provides input to the timeline needed to implement quality improvements.
• Communicates/reports out findings and conclusions to team members and management.
• Review technical documents and customer literature for accuracy and consistency.
• Assist in training of fabrication employees on new design/process changes.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering preferred
• 3 years of experience designing mechanical components.
• Experience with solid modeling systems, particularly Siemens NX, SolidWorks, Excel and Google Sheets desired.
Qualifications and KSA’S for employment:
- Work well in a team, respect others, and have an maintain high level of trust
- Thrive in a fast paced environment.
Solid knowledge of injection molding with plastics and the properties of such used plastics.
Solid knowledge in the area of mechanical engineering along with mechanical dynamics and statics.
Solid knowledge of spatial reasoning in designing stand-alone components, or those working in conjunction with other components.
Solid knowledge in Root Cause Analysis, including Six Sigma Tools to analyze data.
Solid knowledge in computer use and software, such as Word, Excel, Project, Minitab and CAD systems, preferably NX or SolidWorks.
Solid knowledge in use of metrology instruments, such as calipers, gauges, comparators, and vision systems
Solid knowledge of various mechanisms and their applications, including gear systems, clutches, cams, and pulleys
Skill of plastic and aluminum extrusions.
Skill and use of machine shop equipment, such as a lathe and end mill.
Skill in developing and maintaining effective work relationships.
Ability to read and understand engineering drawings/prints.
Ability to use correct grammar and punctuation to maintain laboratory notebooks and prepare project proposals.
Ability to work on projects in a self-directed manner with minimal supervision.
Ability to analyze cause and effect relationships involved with engineering design.
Ability to synthesize information sources to arrive at a solution.
Ability to work with principles of geometry and physics to calculate the design and performance capability of components.
Benefits of working for Hunter Douglas Window Fashions include:
- Accrued paid time off based on years of service, 6+ weeks paid parental leave and other family time off benefits available
- Medical, Dental, Vision plan, Life insurance, STD, LTD, AD&D, Dependent life, Flexible Spending Accounts, and Pet insurance.
- 401(k) with 6% company match and annual retirement contribution
- Employee development including education tuition assistance
- Robust wellness program with monthly company wellness challenges.
- Generous discount on window coverings, charitable contribution match, employee assistance program, dependent scholarships, and more!
Anticipated pay range for this role depending on experience- $68,000- $75,000 , discretionary bonus eligible.