Innovative Product Designer- New Product Development
Innovative Designer, Principal New Product Development
This role is all about ideas and innovation. You will work with a blend of fabrics and hardware and will need to have a solid understanding of what it takes to move your ideas from prototype to reality. Your days will consist of envisioning, creating, and optimizing new products, technologies and systems of methodologies used to enhance corporate innovation goals and provide new or unique business opportunities. You will also provide leadership in ideation, planning, development and management of these goals. This position is responsible for creating and developing new products, extensions to existing Products or processes, focusing on the concept and feasibility phases of the development process. This role will allow you to be your most creative self with a company that is an industry leader and invests in R&D. Plus you will work with a great team of engineers who want to support your creativity and collaborate toward innovation.
You are a free thinker and thrive when you are trying new ideas and you are open minded to many possibilities when solving problems. You have built creative prototypes and samples and have some experience with textiles. You are familiar with the process of starting with a concept and then working with a team to make it a reality. You are hands-on and always keep manufacturability in the forefront of your concepts. You can bring ideas and innovation and can help move these ideas through the development process. You also must be flexible and able to adapt, as not all ideas will come to fruition.
About Hunter Douglas:
Hunter Douglas is the world’s leading manufacturer of window coverings. Our strength is our ability to develop innovative, high-quality, proprietary products that can be found in millions of homes and commercial buildings around the globe. Across the board and throughout the world, we have set new standards in research, design and technology. By constantly innovating and pairing our designs with the most elegant performance fabrics, we create long-lasting unique window treatments whose beauty, functionality, durability, and innovation are simply like no other.
To view a video about Hunter Douglas’ history of innovation please click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QS3ljwG2jw
- Independently plans and performs research in new segments of technology to become a subject matter expert and to translate new knowledge into leverageable corporate competencies
- Transform ideas generated through individual inspiration, focus groups, customer meetings and industry/market research into diversified products or product extensions produced by the business organization.
- Designs and launches products and cross-discipline knowledge – innovative processes, new products, hardware, fabric, fabrication, machinery, etc.
- Demonstrates a high level of creativity and problem-solving ability while applying knowledge and expertise acquired through progressive experience to resolve crucial issues and/or unique challenges.
- Is a hands-on, iterative developer and problem solver that designs, builds and tests product and process prototypes. Researches, designs, builds and conducts experiments, and analyzes and interprets data. Formulates and solves problems.
- Works with textile suppliers or company textile experts to specify, develop and deliver new or modified textiles designed specifically for new products or improvements to existing products. Understands textiles available and applicable to this industry while understanding the advantages/disadvantages of each. Knowledgeable of the company-specific, ASTM and AATCC testing procedures and able to direct all efforts involving the testing and qualification of new textiles and textile suppliers. Able to design and implement new testing procedures when necessary.
- Prepares cost analysis, capital budgeting and approval documentation on all proposed developments. Formally oversees and presents planning, costing and timeline information for new projects to management.
- Researches and reviews recent technological advances and offerings through perusal of trade and industry publications, attendance at trade shows, and contact with suppliers.
Acceptable Training and Experience:
- Advanced degree strongly preferred
- 10+ yrs as Engineer/Industrial Designer or equivalent
Qualifications and KSA’s:
Expert knowledge in the new product development process, from ideation to full release.
Expert knowledge of the principle of prototyping new processes and equipment used typically in the converting of material into window coverings.
Expert knowledge and experience in the methods of Ideation, iterative prototyping, market research and other feedback methods
Solid knowledge and experience working through the patenting of IP, working with inside and outside counsel to create long-standing value to Hunter Douglas. A documented history of successful IP patents in any industry desirable.
Solid knowledge of computer use and software such as, Excel, CAD,etc.
Solid knowledge of electrical, mechanical and industrial engineering.
Solid knowledge of project management from a conceptual design phase to implementation.
Solid knowledge of the selection, determination and sourcing of materials used in production equipment, tool design and modification.
Solid knowledge of the Window coverings market, Hunter Douglas product line and competitive threats in our industry.
Solid knowledge of machinery design, process improvement methodology, industrial processes and procedures.
Solid knowledge of the principles of purchasing and sourcing of materials, goods and raw materials.
About the Window Fashions Division:
Hunter Douglas Window Fashions Division is located in Broomfield, Colorado, midway between Boulder and Denver with outstanding views of the Rockies. The campus encompasses 756,000 square feet of office and manufacturing space. Roughly 1000 employees work at this location to produce proprietary and upscale products such as Duette® Honeycomb Shades,
Benefits of working for Hunter Douglas Window Fashions include:
- Generous paid time off that accrues immediately; 11 paid holidays, new parent and family care time off and 12 hours of paid volunteer work.
- Medical, dental, vision plan, life, STD, LTD, AD&D, dependent life, flexible spending accounts, pre-paid legal, and pet insurance.
- 401(k) with 6% company match and annual retirement contribution, college investment savings program.
- Employee development including education tuition assistance, and on-site development through Hunter Douglas University.
- Robust wellness program; on-site managed fitness center free to employees.
- Generous discount on window coverings.
- Charitable contribution match, employee assistance program, adoption assistance, dependent scholarships, on-site physical therapists and more!