Technical Artist, Creative Labs
HTC Creative Labs
HTC Creative Labs provides design strategy for all of HTC and collaborates directly with teams in Taipei and San Francisco to bring new designs to market. This team is responsible for some of HTC’s most significant product design work over the past decade. Our current focus is on creating amazing software experiences to accompany our cutting-edge HTC Vive hardware. We are a small, cross-functional team of designers, artists, developers, researchers and writers with the feel of a startup. Our process relies on the collaboration of exceptionally talented individuals to create products that offer functional benefits and emotional resonance to our target audiences.
HTC Creative Labs is looking for a passionate and experienced Technical Director to join our team and work in close collaboration with engineers and creatives across HTC. The role offers the opportunity to explore and define content creation methodologies and help teams achieve their experiences – both internally to HTC and with partners. With strong communication skills, ability to self-drive work and a passion for enabling others you will be responsible for developing targeted tools, assets and workflows. Join us and help pioneer in the virtual reality field. We work in a fun fast-paced environment where you work with other talented and passionate people.
· Act as the technical art expert for HTC Creative Labs. This includes handling all aspects of tooling for 3D content authoring & animation.
· Ownership and tooling of advanced character rigs and animation pipelines.
· Partner directly with internal studios, our external developers and partners to help deliver the best visual quality for characters in the industry on HTC’s platform. Act as a technical art expert - handling all aspects of technical direction from producing prototypes, defining processes, writing tools and sharing knowledge.
· Partner with art directors, designers and engineers to help develop content plans, implement solutions and provide feedback across disciplines.
· Incubate and develop innovative solutions to visual problems and workflows. Use your passion for learning, implementing and sharing the latest innovations in real-time graphics and content authoring. Identify and author software and tools to achieve this goal.
· Leverage relationships within HTC to bring new approaches to content creation and technologies to our brand.
· Project managing third party subcontracted suppliers, where necessary. Skills of planning, defining criteria for production worthiness, designing specifications, assessment / review, teaching and structured implementation are essential.
· Be a leading member of art community at HTC. Share knowledge across HTC by generalizing technologies and integrating industry best practices. Form and lead internal cross-team groups to establish and update these best practices.
· Create follow up communications and maintain weekly project status reports
· Show a deep understanding of the character rigging pipeline.
· A passion for working in the virtual reality field.
· 8+ years of industry-related experience. Minimum 4 years production experience in games.
· Computer Science/relevant degree or comparable experience.
· Ambitious, self-motivated, strong work ethic, and willingness to learn.
· Demonstrable experience with commercial game engines like Unreal Engine 4 and/or Unity3D or equivalent propriety engines.
· Demonstrable experience working with DCC applications such as Maya, Max, Modo or Houdini. The ability to extend the capabilities of these packages via plugin APIs is required.
· Strong Python programming skills for tool authoring/high level engine modifications are required.
· Other language skills like C++ or C# are required.
· Willingness to travel for developer visits and conferences.
· High capacity to learn new tools and process.
Nice to Have:
· Prior experience presenting on artistic or technical topics at industry conferences.
· Experience with data acquisition such as 3D scanning, motion capture and the processing of this data.
· Open source tool development experience
HTC is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply without regard to race, color, ancestry, sex, national origin, citizenship, genetics, marital status, veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law. HTC does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, including with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, leaves of absence, and general treatment during employment.