Director, Software Development, Virtual Reality
Director, Software Development, Virtual Reality, HTC Creative Labs
Location: Seattle, WA
HTC is the creator of many award-winning mobile devices and industry firsts. By putting people at the center of everything it does, HTC pushes the boundaries of design and technology to create innovative and personal experiences for consumers around the globe. HTC's portfolio includes smartphones, tablets, wearables and virtual reality products.
HTC Creative Labs:
HTC’s Creative Labs provides design strategy for all of HTC and collaborates directly with teams in Taipei and San Francisco to bring new designs to market. This team is responsible for some of HTC’s most significant product design work over the past decade. Our current focus is on creating amazing software experiences to accompany our cutting-edge HTC Vive VR hardware. We are a small team with the feel of a startup. Our process relies on the collaboration of exceptionally talented individuals to create products that offer functional benefits and emotional resonance to our target audiences.
Your Next Opportunity:
HTC Creative Labs is looking for a passionate Director, Software Development to manage a team of highly-skilled developers and prototypers that will define and deliver amazing software experiences to accompany our industry-leading HTC Vive product. This position requires a very technical hands-on leader with experience managing software developers. You’ll work closely with key stakeholders in design, development and program management to define new kinds of VR/AR/MR experiences. You will play a key role in leading your team to build and iterate on interactive prototypes and incubate and release innovative products to the market. You must possess deep understanding of the process and challenges of the virtual reality development workflow and how those challenges can be overcome to develop a great product. As a manager and leader, you should be highly collaborative, as well as being a great communicator and motivator.
- Lead and manage a small team of developers and prototypers
- Continuously improve processes, and train and develop team members
- Specify product requirements and timelines, and communicate changes to the wider team
- Provide strategic input to the leadership team to help shape the direction of key initiatives
- Clearly communicate project status and action items to the team
- Manage day to day performance and operation of the development team
- Drive development of engaging interactive prototypes to test new ideas with users and communicate design concepts to team members, product groups, and executives
- Work on tight deadlines while managing and prioritizing multiple projects
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of designers through iterative development to insure the product vision is conveyed in an impactful and expressive manner
- Manage delivery of production front end and design deliverables and relationships with HTC's planning and engineering groups in Taipei and San Francisco
- Contribute to an evolving design culture and process throughout HTC's worldwide Creative Labs design organization
- 5+ years leading creative developers and prototypers
- Experience delivering production front end software to market
- Strong understanding of VR/AR/MR development
- Demonstrable ability to create engaging VR experiences
- Advanced knowledge of 3D game development tools (Unity, Unreal or related)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrable ability to design, develop and execute projects
- Strong development and design sensibilities
- Strong understanding of the 3D art pipeline and 3D modeling applications (3DS Max, Maya, ZBrush or related)
- Experience with development on mobile devices (including Mobile VR)
- Experience managing multi-disciplinary teams
- Passion for emerging technologies
- Mandarin/ language proficiency
We should get to know each other if you:
- Are thrilled by the chance to ship new products to millions of passionate HTC users.
- Obsess about creating design solutions that offer both functional and emotional benefits.
- See product design and development as both a cultural and strategic activity.
- Are happy to travel quarterly to Taipei, Taiwan to collaborate with product groups.
HTC is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply without regard to race, color, ancestry, sex, national origin, citizenship, genetics, marital status, veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law. HTC does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, including with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, leaves of absence, and general treatment during employment.
We do not accept resumes or referrals from agencies