Director of Engineering, Data and Technology
About HotChalk:At HotChalk, we deliver the transformative power of lifelong learning through innovative, data-driven solutions to our partner schools and the students we serve – because we believe every mind matters
HotChalk is a data-driven organization and relies on high-quality software solutions and analytic products to support and optimize its strategic business operations. The Director of Engineering will manage the Engineering team in the Data and Tech organization.
This role will help HotChalk meet its business objectives through the use of robust and scalable software solutions which adhere to sound software design, processes, and industry best practices. The ideal senior leader will liaise with other business leaders and stakeholders to propose, build, and deploy software solutions across the organization as outlined in the company’s strategic product roadmap.
Supervises: Data Engineer
Essential Competencies, Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design, build, and evolve HotChalk’s Data Platform and Big Data Technologies
- Lead the data warehousing operation in support of HotChalk’s analytic and reporting efforts
- Drive HotChalk’s Partner Data Exchange and Third-party Systems/Data Integration in support of HotChalk’s Enrollment team (e.g. timely student on-boarding), Student Services team (e.g. timely identification of at-risk students and student retention), and Marketing team (e.g. campaign performance tracking and campaign optimization)
- Custom Application Development - make build vs. buy decisions as it relates to new software products. When required and when financially-justifiable, design and implement custom applications to support critical business processes (e.g. automation of Finance invoicing/revrec processes, email opt-out compliance, management fee processing/reconciliation, integration of social lead ads, etc…)
- Evaluate/adopt/deploy new technologies relevant to the core mission of the Engineering team
- Liaise with business customers/stakeholders during business requirements elicitation process
- Participate in Data and Tech Governance meetings, HotChalk’s quarterly planning sessions, and product roadmap decisions
- Project scoping, prioritization, and implementation
- Build, support, and coach a team of talented engineers
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- BS+ degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering or 8+ years of relevant work experience
- Outstanding infrastructure and software architecture skills, especially in a cloud-based, distributed compute and storage environment, such as Amazon Web Services
- Experience with all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle and Agile methodologies
- Solid experience with the following AWS technologies and services: EC2, S3, RDS, EMR, Hive, Redshift, Glue, Athena, Lambda, Machine Learning, Kinesis, etc.
- Familiar with workflow management tools such as Apache AirFlow or Azkaban
- Solid experience with data management principles, tools, and methodologies
- Outstanding experience with relational/SQL and noSQL databases.
- Amazon Redshift and MySQL are a must.
- Solid track record of building complex, scalable, and resilient data pipelines
- Solid understanding of data governance and data quality principles and methodologies
- Experience with data visualization tools, preferably Tableau
Preferred Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills):
- Outstanding Structured Query Language (SQL) skills
- Superb Java skills
- Solid Python skills
- Solid Linux skills
- Familiarity with bug tracking platforms, preferably JIRA
- Familiarity with software version control systems, preferably Git
- A keen passion for building and delivering high-quality data solutions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform functions of this job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are essential of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
At HotChalk, we believe culture and thought diversity lead to better teams and stronger companies. We seek talented, qualified employees regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. HotChalk is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
For more information about HotChalk, visit: http://www.hotchalk.com.