Product Marketing Manager (Research)
You love education and want to spend your time cultivating a portfolio of academic products that advance careers and change lives. You’re self-motivated, driven, and able to articulate strategic visions. You love wearing many different hats, have a positive attitude, and a sense of humor. You wake up every morning wanting to learn more about your customers’ challenges and see the value of building a community of lifelong learners.
The product marketing manager works with an integrated marketing team to research academic program offerings and gather market insights. This role will analyze complex competitive data to increase the effectiveness of our marketing efforts to prospective students when launching new programs and revising marketing efforts for existing programs. As a member of an innovative marketing team, you will have a positive impact through working to create consumer-centric program offerings. A successful product marketing manager has a strategic and analytical mindset and a passion for solving problems and takes a research-oriented and data-driven approach to ensure that the right customers are getting the right message, through the right channels.
Essential Functions, Competencies and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Generate innovative marketing ideas and collaborate with a cross-functional team of marketers to create and execute go-to-market strategies for academic program offerings, and own launch strategy (timelines, messaging, channel strategy)
- Use data, insights and an analytical approach to identify routes to market, content, offerings, pricing strategy suggestions, sales and partner materials
- Partner with internal teams and partner institutions as needed to collect information and regularly attend and present in partner meetings to build relationships
- Drive comprehensive program lifecycle analysis with performance, key learnings, future recommendations, and incremental opportunities
- Enable sales teams by developing product positioning to life with compelling narratives and innovative messaging, and train internal teams on positioning ourselves against the competitive offerings
- Work closely with the field sales teams to ensure effective thought leadership and ongoing relevance in the market to drive demand generation and pipeline
- Dive into internal and third-party data to continuously uncover insights about our business
- Define target audiences for product offerings, including demographic and title information for channel segmentation.
- Administration of consumer surveys and post-survey reporting, and sharing aggregated insights with the marketing team as well as other internal teams
- Ability to conduct research — persona, audience, and competitive research as needed to better inform positioning and run the analysis of marketing efforts
- Knowledge of academic program offerings and curating an institutional program portfolio through program introductions and sunsetting
- Enjoy experimenting with (and are constantly learning) new methods to test hypotheses and iterate your way to a win quickly
- Comfortable creating survey instruments and running focus groups to gather direct consumer insights
- Strong organizational skills to successfully manage task schedules
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are a crucial part of the success of this position, specifically the ability to present ideas and information clearly, personify the voice of a brand or product, adjust tone and nuance with the audience in mind
- Enjoy spending time with customers - you love being their voice within the company
- Takes initiative, and has a strong work ethic and desire to implement new ideas
- Experience managing vendors and freelancers for deeper research projects, competitive intelligence gathering, and brand research studies
- Ability to work effectively with remote and in-person team members across multiple geographic locations
- Embraces a can-do attitude, and is effective in implementing new courses of action and gaining buy-in from a wide range of stakeholders
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced dynamic environment where marketers work together to solve tactical and brand initiatives
- Can comfortably work with a product team that is developing a completely new platform and successfully navigate changing priorities and ambiguity that may be encountered during the creation process
- Must be a true team player that is focused on the “we” results
- Proficiency with Google Suite, Wrike, IPEDs research, competitive research, survey administration, focus group coordination
- Experience in product management or product marketing role is required
- Education experience — either working within a higher education institution or working on behalf of them
Minimum Qualifications for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; a focus in marketing/advertising, business, communication studies is preferred
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in a marketing team or agency
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and move up to 25 pounds.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are essential of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
HotChalk is an innovation company that partners with educational institutions committed to making a positive transformative impact on society. HotChalk helps transform the ways in which colleges and universities deliver lifelong learning to their students and graduates, empowering those institutions with strategies, technologies, and innovations that allow them to adapt and evolve in an ever-accelerating world of change. At HotChalk we believe education is the central catalyst that shapes society.
At HotChalk, we believe culture and thought diversity lead to better teams and stronger companies. We seek talented, qualified employees regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. HotChalk is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.