Business Development Manager
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is an international public relations company with over 85 offices around the world. We believe that every corporation, brand and client has a public, and today’s public is more powerful than ever before. They have the power to topple CEOs, reshape corporate and brand strategy, kill products and create unicorns.
Today’s public demands truth, transparency and the highest behavioral standards.
Our client obsession means constantly evolving new products + services to help brands and the public communicate. Always in beta.
At H+K our belief is that the agency is a canvas for everyone to write their own story. This job description is written at a moment in time; whatever role you take at H+K we expect you to evolve that role; it should be different tomorrow than it is today. Each day, more than 2000 of the smartest, most innovative and collaborative people in the world come to work at Hill +Knowlton Strategies. We invite you to join us!
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is seeking a Business Development Manager to span the Greater China and Asia cluster. Business development is a key priority for the firm and the team is responsible for growing and diversifying our client base. Being at the heart of the agency you will get to work with each and every team in the business and will be exposed to the very latest in the agency's thinking.
As part of the Global Business Development Team, this unique role will straddle two clusters – Greater China and Asia, ideally you would be located in Shanghai.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Inbound new business
- Validate and qualify leads to ensure the agency is focused on the right opportunities
- Create collateral for RFI and RFQ requests e.g. bespoke credential decks
- Form part of a ‘follow the sun’ Global Bid Response Team as the POC in Asia time zone to support on large / multi market opportunities (English language, from any market)
- Conduct research and intelligence to inform new business projects and pitches, using tools such as Global Web Index and BrandZ to provide insights
- Undertake pitch management for key new business opportunities. Manage the H+K process from identifying resources, developing timelines and overseeing the pitch response to working with the design team, handling network requests and inputs, and running team rehearsals (with a senior observer)
- Review pitch decks to ensure that the response is of the highest possible quality in the H+K format (hits the spot creatively and strategically, flows well, is memorable).
- Support Pitch Manager and Pitch Leader on writing of the proposal itself as needed
- Support global network requests for Asia and Greater China inputs as and when required to do so
- De-briefs for wins and losses – completing when appropriate and ensuring this data is captured and shared within the teams appropriately.
- Post-pitch analysis to ascertain areas of success, and areas for improvement
- Support in driving Global Proactive New Business strategy in Greater China and Asia
- Attend industry networking events to develop new prospects
- Network with WPP Opcos and WPP client leads to cross-sell H+K capability and ensure key people within local market offices are connected to WPP agency counterparts
- Identify opportunistic leads through regular monitoring of press and other resources
- Ensure visibility and accurate tracking of all new business opportunities to feed into global reports
- Maintain up-to-date biography and case study inventory to showcase H+K client work and talent and ensure all updates are made on HK.Net for global access
- Work with MDs to identify areas for training regarding new business best practices and pitch management to assist in conversion of leads
- Ensure knowledge management and information sharing of all new business-related information, templates and research & monitoring tools, etc. is effective across the network
- Coordinate with affiliate network partners as required
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO THE TEAM
- You know H+K inside out, you have or desire to have a strong knowledge of our processes and our offerings, and you want to act as a champion of them
- You have good working relationship across H+K
- Proven experience (min 3-5 years) in client servicing role, ideally with pitch experience
- A fast learner and an agile working approach
- Approachable and engaging
- Superb writing and editing skills with a keen eye for detail
- Proven project management experience (exceptional time management and organizational skills with ability to create project timelines, meet deadlines and hold others accountable)
- Strong research skills with a curious, resourceful nature and ability to synthesize large amounts of data down to key learnings/information points
- Ability to work independently as well as be a team player with a proactive approach to establishing and building relationships with various account teams and practice leaders
- Resilience and perseverance in enforcing the global new business process and H+K Way: be the individual who motivates consultants in their business development duties
- Culturally aware and curious (China or Asia experience not essential but the ability to adapt to different backgrounds and working styles across the different countries is key)
- Excellent English and communication skills
- Expert proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint and Excel
- Desired: Willingness to learn the language