Associate Director - Energy + Industrials
Energy + Industrials
Associate Director / Senior Associate Director
After several years of growth, H+K London’s Energy + Industrials sector is looking to recruit a Senior/Associate Director to join the leadership team of our thriving practice of 30 consultants. You will lead client mandates, drive new business and play an active role in talent development.
Our client portfolio sits at the heart of the most fundamental issues facing business and society; from managing the energy transition to supporting the rollout of electric vehicle infrastructure; from accelerating the development of smart cities, through to ending plastic pollution and catalysing a circular economy we create compelling communications that change behaviours, secure license to operate and shape reputation.
Our team experience spans traditional energy, renewable energy, power and utilities, transport, logistics, manufacturing and industrial tech. For our clients we provide corporate and public affairs counsel as well as strategic reputation and issues management advice, integrated campaigns, digital and media relations, stakeholder engagement, content marketing programmes and consumer behaviour change campaigns. The work is by definition international, though we work mainly on the UK and European aspects of communications for clients.
We are a dynamic, friendly and collaborative team of 30, and some of our recent and current clients include: Shell, Hitachi, Oil & Gas Climate Initiative, Amcor, DS Smith, Net Zero Teeside, Honda, Ellen Macarthur Foundation and the Institute of Economics and Peace.
Our portfolio of clients is diverse both in terms of core businesses, but also in terms of target audiences. While the ideal candidate will have experience in the energy industry, we are also interested in hearing from individuals with experience leading broader corporate communications programmes or working with clients in B2B and regulated industries.
The successful candidate will be a well-rounded, well-connected communications professional, with the ability to lead mandates with multiple workstreams across market segments and geographies. You understand how to deliver the deepest and broadest communications for clients with campaigns that engage business, policy and stakeholder audiences through multiple channels, and will be able to advise senior clients and business stakeholders. You will lead strategic planning for issues-rich clients and you’ll bring creativity to your approach to corporate communications.
This role requires someone with a corporate, B2B and/or public affairs background and while you may have some in-house experience, you’ll ideally bring strong consultancy skills gained working in an agency environment. Team management is a big part of this role. You’ll know how to thrive in a fast-paced environment and understand how to balance competing priorities and will enjoy the commercial aspects that come with running client programmes and growing a team.
We are interested in meeting candidates with a mix of some or all of these:
- Solid communications experience gained delivering multi-disciplinary campaign work for heavyweight clients
- Agency experience, particularly experience leading and coordinating multi-market communications programmes
- A strategic thinker with an interest in business, media & politics
- Senior media relations handler, with a nose for corporate storytelling and campaigning
- Strong planning and organisational skills – both in terms of managing complex client campaigns and managing workstreams across markets
- Corporate/B2B-leaning, but with the ability to flex into public affairs and/or consumer programmes
- Confidence to provide strong counsel to senior clients on strategy
- A team player with the ability to quickly build strong inter-team relationships, motivate and lead a bright team of talented, ambitious juniors
- A proactive self-starter with an eye for identifying new business opportunities for existing clients and appetite to get involved in growing the portfolio
- Independently lead client relationships, with accountability for the development and management of campaigns across all publishing channels (traditional and social, earned, owned, shared and paid)
- Provide counsel with confidence and professionalism on communication strategies, stakeholder engagement, and corporate storytelling
- Be a trusted advisor to clients, adding value to client relationships and helping clients achieve their business objectives
- Provide strong financial management, understanding revenue forecasting, budget management and client profitability
- Proactively identify opportunities for organic growth in your client portfolio
- Lead new business pitches and support sector marketing activities
- Mentoring, coaching and line managing junior team members
WHAT THE ROLE CAN OFFER YOU
- The opportunity to develop your career within a full-service and internationally networked communications consultancy with all the opportunities and wider benefits you would expect
- Work on, shape, and deliver huge campaigns for some of the world’s biggest and most exciting brands
- The opportunity to develop your skills across the wider sector portfolio
- A fascinating integrated communications role within a dynamic and talented team
- Access to a global network of specialist communicators working with leading brands and clients
Hill+Knowlton Strategies (H+K) is an international PR and communications agency based across 80 offices in 40 countries and working globally with many of the largest multinational companies. We structure and lead our business around industry sector teams to deliver deep industry knowledge for the benefit of our clients. These teams are supported by specialist areas of creative ideas development and strategy, data and analytics, content creation and publishing, corporate affairs and ESG. The people in our agency are constantly evolving and are expected to re-invent their skills and set new standards in the industry.
OUR LONDON OFFICE
H+K employs over 300 people in the UK, and our stunning Clerkenwell offices run over two floors, encompassing a beautiful roof terrace and subsidised bar area, which is a great spot for client meetings and socialising with the wider agency.
We pride ourselves on creating a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone belongs. As a company and as co-workers, we are building a workplace where everyone can reach their full potential. We are an inclusive employer and are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
To apply for this opportunity, please send your CV and covering statement to Sarah Fell, Head of Talent Acquisition to [email protected]