Vice President & Deputy General Manager
We are currently seeking a talented communications and public affairs leader to serve as a Vice President and Deputy General Manager in Alberta, helping to provide exceptional client service, grow our business, and build our team in Western Canada. The Vice President and Deputy General Manager has line of sight and day to day responsibility for the management and financial performance of the Alberta office, maintaining ongoing client relationships, personal utilization and new business targets defined by their manager, the Western Canada General Manager. This person will work collaboratively with colleagues to grow both the business and team in a manner that aligns with the company’s business strategy. As a leader, there will also be a responsibility to promote the H+K office culture and show commitment to an ethical and client-centric business approach.
The most important contribution you can make is within the area of leadership—day-to-day business leadership and talent leadership. We expect you to provide a strong presence and counsel to other leaders in the office and region. Deep market knowledge in the Alberta communications and public affairs landscape are required to think strategically and act tactically to support H+K and our clients. The Vice President and Deputy General Manager will be responsible for driving growth and evangelizing the H+K brand to attract and retain world-class clients and talent.
You must have a passion for managing business and be client-obsessed and creative. You will be expected to provide strategic counsel to clients at the executive level and help client leaders do the same, lending the necessary time and support to help accounts realize their full potential and to ensure account profitability. You will promote opportunities to involve other company offices in client support.
As the Vice President and Deputy General Manager, one of your passions is business development. You will be responsible for actively developing new business, properly vetting leads and guiding the pitch process to convert leads into new clients. You have extensive industry knowledge and a robust network of contacts in Alberta and beyond to help keep H+K on the cutting edge while growing the business.
The agency will grow by landing and fostering the right talent. One of your key responsibilities will be to work with the General Manager, Western Canada to help ensure the Alberta team receives top-tier training, new challenges and career growth opportunities, creating an environment that fosters employee retention with authenticity and transparency. You are a mentor and source of support to those reporting to you and serve as inspiration to junior staff. You invest in your team and lead by example to uphold a supreme level of client service, quality work and high-level strategic thinking in team members of all levels.
Deep understanding of the public affairs and communications disciplines in Alberta, including the energy, healthcare, and agriculture sectors. Must be politically astute and possess awareness of local and provincial government initiatives and knowledge of the market’s unique economic landscape to identify opportunities for strategic business growth.
Key Selection Criteria:
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- 8-12 years of public relations experience at the mid-to senior level; agency experience a must; additional client-side experience a plus
- Deep sector knowledge across multiple verticals including Media Relations, Public Affairs, Government Relations, Energy, Healthcare, Agriculture and more, with a deep understanding of strategic communications and public relations principals
- Strong financial literacy with a track record of success maintaining growth and profitability
- Experience building and managing virtual, small, yet dynamic teams, demonstrating leadership by growing and retaining talent
- Client-obsessed leader able to forge strong relationships with C-Suite client contacts, allocating necessary resources and problem solving to avoid client issues
- Strong track record of success leading business development efforts; growth mindset and the ability to convert new opportunities, present with charisma and maximize opportunities for organic growth
- Excellent collaborator able to successfully work on both national and regional mandates
- Industry leader with a strong base of contacts, able to serve as an ambassador and thought leader for the H+K brand
- A cultural champion with a genuine love for the people and the work
Our relationship with WPP — one of the world’s largest communications groups — gives us an unmatched worldwide presence and a deep bench, including our own strategic partnerships and acquisitions. We create ideas to believe in.