JOB TITLE: Account ManagerREPORT TO: Account Director
Hill+Knowlton Strategies (H+K) is a leading global communications consultancy, advising and implementing strategic communication programs for top-tier organisations across a diverse range of industries.
In Australia we are proud to have grown out of the country’s first major PR agency. For more than seventy years, we have worked alongside leading local and global organisations to provide strategic counsel at the times when their businesses need it most.
Today, success requires being nimble to risk and responsive to opportunity. We believe that to thrive organisations need to proactively protect, leverage and build their reputation at every opportunity.
At H+K, reputation is our business. We add the plus: the strategy that connects brand purpose to brand reputation.
As a key player in H+K’s team, you serve as the day-to-day client account manager in executing media relations and integrated campaigns for multiple clients across various sectors.
We encourage you to think strategically and creatively as you develop under the guidance of some of the best in the industry. Working alongside a passionate and supportive team, you have the opportunity to supervise junior team members.
You are curious, and hungry for daily news and the media. You are passionate about forming and holding great client relationships, exacting personal professional standards, tight time management, execution at a high standard and the ability to think on your feet to optimise. You also demonstrate a strong interest in cultural and social trends. You bring these competencies to H+K’s stable of clients across all our industry sectors.
- Contributes to the creation of client programs and takes responsibility for driving them forward with client teams
- Takes increasing responsibility for account service and management for clients
- Drives social and digital works streams for all accounts, mentoring junior team members as required to achieve results for your clients
- Assists in the preparation of monthly invoices and reports
- Serves as liaison between client, team leader and other H+K offices to coordinate activities
- Supports on new business pitches with media and social media insights and recommendations
- Contribution to Daily News wrap email, shares one insight, trend, research report or new piece of news on a relevant industry or trend with account team and client
- Takes the lead on preparing one event wrap up report in the next six months
- Publishes all social content for brands via social channels
- Brief (and attends) production shoot with influencers
- Takes the lead in developing monthly content calendar for all clients, where relevant
- Prepare and run at least one digital training session
- People. You demonstrate a proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships inside and outside the business. Being responsible for the consistent and reliable output of high-quality work, you are an accountable team member, who is practiced in using questions to clarify understanding, and share information and intelligence. You are a self-assured and supportive colleague.
- Accountability. You have strong management skills, appropriately managing your workload to meet team, project and client needs and deadlines. Drawing on your experience and ongoing pursuit of insights and learnings, you apply clever and creative thinking to all aspects of your work. You use initiative and analytical thinking in addressing client needs. With a keen eye for detail, you always ensure quality and consistency in all aspects of your work and the team’s deliverables.
- Media relations: Your media contacts will already be mature across a number of sectors and you’ll continue to keep these up to ensure your media strategy counsel is strategic and thoughtful. You’ll facilitate media relationships between other members of your team and your contacts. You’ll know your clients’ media and influencers inside and out and be able to advise them on the best approach for engagement.
- Social and influencer campaigns. You know your clients’ media and influencers inside and out and act as a key media relationship manager on behalf of your clients and teams. Drawing on your media knowledge and experience, you confidently and insightfully advise clients on the best approach for engagement. You are passionate about the media landscape, and work hard to build, maintain and expand your relationships across all verticals.
- Account Management: You will continue to exceed client expectations in terms of social programs, evaluation, timelines, budgets, creativity and quality - with the support of your team as necessary. It is vital that you establish and maintain relationships with key client contacts and ensure that client/consultancy relationships exist on multiple levels and grow over time. A big part of your role will be attending and assisting in preparing regular account “check-ups” with the client - presents accomplishments and plans for next period. You will develop your skills in providing strategic input and will be recognised as a trusted advisor who will understand the client goals, expectations in delivery and deadline to meet those goals, then manage teams well to achieve them.
- Business acumen. You have a keen interest in and follow business issues and trends to develop client insights. Growing into your mid-level role in our business, you are encouraged to recognise and pursue opportunities to advance larger business goals, for H+K and your clients. You are expected to familiarise yourself with and understand your client’s strategies, regularly identifying and suggesting new opportunities to create value. You have confidence in completing basic social and influencer campaign budgets, project estimators and activity reports.
- Consulting and client management. You demonstrate a clear understanding and interest in client’s business and the work we’re doing for them. You are able to identify, understand, and independently resolve client needs/problems where applicable, escalating to more senior team members when appropriate. You proactively develop good rapport and relationship with clients by always being professional, friendly, approachable and adopting an appropriate attitude and behaviour. You are a trusted advisor and social and digital consultant.
- Self-management and development. You demonstrate positive attitude, proactivity, a professional appearance, solid communication skills, initiative, willingness to work on different industry sectors and provide multiple communication services. We encourage you to show initiative and take on broader roles if needed / appropriate, drawing on creative and strategic thinking skills. You always lead by example and become a role model to junior staff on our team.
- New business and business development. In addition to proactively identifying incremental business opportunities on current accounts, you regularly support senior staff members on new business opportunities with new prospects. In this capacity you research and contribute to new business proposals for new and existing clients and participate in presentations.
At H+K your role also requires some specialist skills regardless of the level you are at.
- Being curious: This means asking questions, all the time. Wondering why we do things the way we do. Seeking out and exploring as much information as possible and then sharing it with the team. What are other brands doing well? What was the last awesome campaign you saw? What’s inspiring you? How can we inspire our clients to think differently?
- Plugging into the news agenda: From celebrities to politicians, you might not always like them, but you’ve still got to know them! Understanding popular culture, current affairs, influencers and social trends that drive/shape opinion is really important. What’s the ‘water cooler conversation’ of the week? It’s your job to know what’s going on and who’s on-trend, so you can share that knowledge with our clients and your team.
- Living social: Understanding the wide array of social media networks that exist, how they work and who is using them is an important part of the job. You’ll be trained how to connect through and analyse all aspects of social media, so it’s important that you’re across all the platforms and understand how they can impact your clients’ communications programs. Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn… again, whether you love or hate these social networks you’ll need to be well versed in each platform and how they work. We find that the best way to do this is to be involved yourself! But, you choose the privacy settings you’re comfortable with. As well as what’s hot now, we want you to keep your finger on the pulse of what’s coming next.
- Having a say: Whether it’s via Contagious, Big Think, Wired or your own blog it’s important that you’re developing your view on brands, marketing and the role of PR in the mix. We encourage you to blog, write guest posts, Tweet or just share your thoughts (or the thoughts of others) with us internally.
At H+K your role also requires some specialist skills regardless of the level you are at. These include:
- Digitally curious: This means asking questions, all the time. Wondering why we do things the way we do. Seeking out and exploring as much information as possible and then sharing it with the team. What are other brands doing well? What was the last awesome campaign you saw? What’s inspiring you? How can we inspire our clients to think differently?
- Plugging into pop-culture: From celebrities to TV shows, you might not always like them, but you’ve still got to know them! Understanding popular culture, the celebrities, influencers and social trends that drive/shape opinion is really important. What’s the ‘water cooler conversation’ of the week? This could be from a sporting, fashion, reality TV or media perspective – it’s your job to know what’s going on and whose on-trend, so you can share that knowledge with our clients.
- Understanding the industry and where is heading: It’s important that we can guide our clients to find their differentiated place and perspective in the world – from a customer and thought leadership stance. They come to us to help guide them through this so it’s important you are across not just our clients, but their competitors – and not just in Australia, but worldwide. You should have a perspective in this dynamic industry and be willing to share it via your social channels.
We are The Sum of Us. At H+K, it is not about what ‘some of us’ could do, it’s about what the Sum Of Us can do. It’s about the possibility of what happens when we work together. Staying true to our values means celebrating each other with awards and bragging rights when we do stay true to our values or calling each other out when we don’t. But just as importantly, recognizing when we need to support each other with a big hug and a walk.
- We lead with our hearts and minds. At H+K, our EQ is as important as our IQ
- We seek and explore. At H+K, this means being curious, reading, asking questions and listening to learn
- We are humble but proud. We deliver incredible work, work that really does change lives. It’s behaviour changing, reputation building, impactful work
- We bring our passion and energy to all that we do. Every day we bring energy and a fresh perspective to what we do, to make the tried and tested way of doing things feel fresh and new