Senior Consultant, Public Affairs
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is looking for a talented Senior Consultant, Public Affairs to join our dynamic Vancouver team. As a key member of our British Columbia team, the Senior Consultant will ensure that client satisfaction is maintained at the highest level by strategically planning and providing day-to-day implementation of client projects. The Senior Consultant will work closely with client contacts and Hill+Knowlton team members to ensure that the client’s public affairs requirements are identified, and appropriate solutions are recommended, planned, budgeted and implemented accordingly. The Senior Consultant will also carry out and supervise public affairs programs for clients, providing a broad spectrum of public affairs and communications services.
Here’s what you’d be doing:
- Proactively monitoring the British Columbia Provincial Government as well as municipal governments at both the elected and non-elected levels
- Connecting developments in government to issues of interest to client base
- Preparing targeted briefings for clients based on monitoring and research
- Undertaking specific research activities in support of broader strategies and plans
- Undertaking on-going process of tracking, interpreting and reporting on client activities and results as well longer-term issues and developments
- Evaluating developments in social media as it relates to policy issues and stakeholder engagement and providing insight regarding their impact
- Assisting in developing strategies and plans for clients regarding issues of interest including recommendations for social media and other communications efforts, when appropriate
- Ensuring that the plans incorporate consistent strategies and messages, realistic objectives, timetables and budgets, as well as employ H+K Best Teams approaches
- Compling with lobby registration process as per jurisdiction
- Developing, writing and executing programs to meet client requirements
- Arranging meetings with government and participating when appropriate
- Building relationships in government at the political and official levels
- Account management including project/client budgeting, billing, and expenses.
- Leading issue identification and research activities in support of new business development initiatives
- Participating in new business development activities by expanding business with current clients and / or bringing in new business
What else is in it for you?
- Full health benefits package—including healthy paid time off, schedule flexibility, fitness reimbursement, and more
- A career working with and influencing bold, creative teams and client accounts
- A passionate, smart, fun, and creative office culture
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best
What you’ll need to get here:
- Three to five years’ experience in a consulting role or equivalent experience, ideally including experience within government or a government organization
- Degree in Political Science, Communications, Journalism or Public Relations
- An in-depth understanding, awareness of and experience in public affairs and government relations as a framework for public affairs activities
- Political savvy and demonstrated understanding of government bureaucracy to help clients achieve their objectives with government stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to network and develop relationships with key stakeholders and potential clients
- An understanding of the nature of the relationship between government, the media and opinion leaders and stakeholders, and the nature of the relationship between the elected and non-elected levels of government
- A proven knowledge of legislative and regulatory procedures
- Ability to draw on a large network of individuals and organizations to perform research and investigations on issues, trends, developments, and individuals
- Ability to multi-task to manage multiple client demands while setting realistic expectations
- A Demonstrated entrepreneurial approach to new business development (organic and net new clients)
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ability to direct budgets
- The ability to meet deadlines and prioritize
- Passion, tenacity and enthusiasm for the H+K brand
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is dedicated to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. If you require any accommodation during the recruitment process, please reach out to us.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies (H+K), a global public relations and integrated communications consultancy, offers senior counsel, insightful research and strategic communications throughout the world. We’ve been in the business of harnessing the power of the public for over 90 years, and our world-class teams of trusted advisors, digital masters and creative experts help our clients navigate today’s uncertain world to strengthen their brands, reputations, and bottom lines.
H+K works with over 50 percent of the Fortune Global 500 companies and some of the world’s most transformative social enterprises and technology companies in both established and emerging markets.
Our relationship with WPP — one of the world’s largest communications groups — gives us an unmatched worldwide presence and a deep bench, including our own strategic partnerships and acquisitions. We create ideas to believe in.