Senior Account Manager/Vice President, Water, Energy + Utilities
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is seeking a confident and dynamic Senior Account Manager or Vice President to join our West Coast team with a focus on Water, Energy + Utilities. In this role, you will be responsible for leading high-performing communications teams, driving new opportunities across a diverse range of influential clients and exemplifying H+K’s client obsession with a commitment to flawless execution and quantifiable results.
The communications world is often divided between advisers and doers. You must be both. You must be capable of providing C-suite executives unique insights and problem-solving guidance while still working closely with your team to develop and execute campaigns. You must be able to manage people and effectively maintain your accounts, managing all administrative and financial aspects of the work. The Vice President, Energy will also serve as a leader in the firm, the office and to internal teams – reaching beyond client work, providing cross team leadership and mentorship.
By its nature, Communications is a social and persuasive activity. From a new business pitch to the day-to-day account work, you must be confident in your ability to engage and persuade challenging individuals that your advisory guidance and tactical skills are worthy of their investment.
The ideal candidate brings strong communications credentials with subject matter expertise in regulated utilities, public affairs and California public policy. You are a leader with a robust portfolio of work, having led campaigns and helped clients in the energy + industrials sphere, navigating numerous communications challenges and opportunities including leadership positioning, public policy issues, transactional communications, corporate social responsibility, corporate reputation, crisis communications and more.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Providing account strategy and counsel, generating fresh, smart ideas and leading campaigns
- Developing strong and trusted relationships with client contacts and internal leadership
- Implementing comprehensive strategic communications and stakeholder engagement activities through multifaceted and omni-channel campaigns
- Crafting thoughtful points of view and recommendations based on a broad understanding of California public policy, water and energy issues
- Developing campaign strategy, client messaging and thought leadership programs
- Driving growth on existing clients and identifying and securing new business opportunities
- Directly managing, mentoring and working alongside a collaborative team of smart and enthusiastic PR professionals
- Managing media relations and influencer engagement projects and building relationships with key stakeholders
- Serving as a point of quality control, reviewing and editing written materials to ensure high quality
- Leading by example with tenacity, enthusiasm and passion for the H+K brand
Attributes + Qualifications:
- 6-10 years’ public relations experience; agency and/or in-house; agency experience preferred
- Regulated utility and/or public affairs background; ability to provide informed POV based on proven experience in the space
- Knowledge of the unique attributes and nuances of the California market from a water, energy and public policy perspective
- Trusted client adviser: an active listener who builds strong partnerships and confidently offers counsel
- Strategic thinker: understands our clients’ business and communications challenges and develops smart, insight-driven strategies
- Creative spark: brings a fresh perspective to our clients and develops ideas that challenge conventions
- Growth mindset: actively seeks opportunities to drive organic growth; proactively seeks new business leads and has a history of leading and winning pitches
- Passionate: Lives and breathes the client’s business. Understands the client’s pain points. Is an abstract thinker. Understands the relationship between two disparate pieces of information. Is curious, questions the status quo, and is and an avid consumer of information
- Operationally savvy: experienced at effectively managing multiple accounts and client budgets
- People-centric: committed to the development of team members through active coaching and mentoring
- Strong and wide grasp of all things social & digital media, with proven knowledge of how to use social media platforms as part of integrated media and public policy education efforts
- Energy and passion to contribute to and help foster a fun, collaborative and thriving company culture locally and nationally
What the role can offer you:
- The ability to work for an iconic, established agency with a ‘start up’ mentality and approach to business
- Competitive benefits package—including healthy vacation allotment, 401(k) matching, medical/dental/vision support, schedule flexibility, fitness reimbursement and more
- A career working with and influencing bold, creative teams and large, well known client brands
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills to become your professional best
- The opportunity to grow as a leader within a globally influential agency with a dynamic company culture.
Ready to know more?
Please submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is an international public relations company with over 85 offices around the world.
We believe that every corporation, every brand, every client has a public and today’s public is more powerful than ever before. They have the power to topple CEO’s, reshape corporate and brand strategy, kill products and create unicorns. Today’s public demands truth, transparency and the highest behavioral standards.
Our client obsession means constantly evolving new products + services to help brands and the public communicate. Always in beta.
At H+K our belief is that the agency is a canvas for everyone to write their own story. This job description is written at a moment in time; whatever role you take at H+K we expect you to evolve that role; it should be different tomorrow than it is today and set new standards in the industry.
Join our team and harness the power of the public.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Hill+Knowlton Strategies does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, creed, color, age, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, national origin, or ancestry.