Vice President, Issues+Crisis Management
Vice President, Corporate Communications, Issues Management
Expert storytelling. Diversity of perspective. Authenticity. Results. H+K Strategies is seeking a dynamic Vice President with strong Corporate Communications and Issues Management experience to join an elite embedded global client team in Chicago. This position will serve as one of the lead client managers in the U.S., partner with inter-agency leads, and manage junior team members and be part of a highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary group.
Candidates must have experience leading the execution of corporate programs on behalf of large brands, including but not limited to, corporate reputation, crisis communications, executive positioning, mergers and acquisitions, and business transformation.
Candidate is responsible for supporting a proactive strategy through active media management and engagement to build, protect and defend the client’s reputation on a national level with various stakeholders, including but not limited to, investors, suppliers, customers, employees, government agencies and NGOs. Additionally:
- Identifying and escalating issues where the company is at risk.
- Support proactive PR and communications programs and campaigns around key client issues and priorities.
- Coordinate and manage relationships with key external third parties.
- Help execute communications strategy and support for high-profile corporate priorities with a direct impact on the client’s business and standing, particularly in partnership with the Public Affairs, Government Relations, Operations, and Corporate Social Responsibility teams.
- Independently lead day-to-day account operations and serve as a primary client contact.
- Cultivate and build account relationships with key day-to-day client; nurture and grow the partnership over time.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of client business, industry competition and relevant media.
- Develop and deploy strategic, proactive communications that deliver the client’s message in regard to an initiative or issue, all in the interest of building, protecting and defending corporate reputation.
- Identify and target specific audiences for communications regarding specific initiatives or issues and ensure that the client’s response or statements are appropriate and meaningful for the target audience.
- Provide client counsel and management on communications implications of an issue and the impact it could have on corporate reputation.
- Research innovation and external best practices to manage and translate a range of complex ideas, issues, and initiatives into strategic communication solutions.
- Confer with subject matter experts in various internal departments and outside stakeholders to determine the appropriate internal and external communications for the situation. Formulates positions and strategies pertaining to the execution of the communications.
- Maintain an awareness and detailed knowledge of the developments in the business, including major projects impacting the enterprise, corporate initiatives, trade relations initiatives, acquisitions/divestitures, and issues and controversies involving corporate reputation.
- Track and monitor the effect of the communications to ensure continual process improvement.
The ideal candidate is a creative yet strategic thinker, demonstrating enthusiasm and energy, an appetite to learn and be challenged, and a solid base skill set of writing, organization, account and team management.
- 10+ years of PR agency/in-house experience in corporate reputation management
- Undergraduate degree in PR, Communications, Journalism, Media Studies or related
- Experience communicating externally to media, NGOs, financial analysts, government officials and community groups; strong top-tier media relationships a plus.
- Experience collaborating with internal and external resources to develop strategies that meet established goals on time and within budget.
- Superior writing, problem solving and organizational skills
- Budget and junior team management experience
- Experience in pharmaceutical, pharmacy and/or retail industries. Experience working for a large, national organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 7 years of experience with internal and external corporate communication strategies using a variety of delivery methods
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive benefits package—including healthy vacation allotment, 401(k) matching, medical/dental/vision support, fitness reimbursement, your birthday off, professional development opportunities and more
- A career working with a growing team that is helping client’s address some of the world’s toughest health challenges.
- An inspiring, passionate, driven, fun, and creative team culture
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is an international public relations company with over 85 offices around the world.
We believe that every corporation, every brand, every client has a public and today’s public is more powerful than ever before. They have the power to topple CEO’s, reshape corporate and brand strategy, kill products and create unicorns. Today’s public demands truth, transparency and the highest behavioral standards.
Our client obsession means constantly evolving new products + services to help brands and the public communicate. Always in beta.
At H+K our belief is that the agency is a canvas for everyone to write their own story. This job description is written at a moment in time; whatever role you take at H+K we expect you to evolve that role; it should be different tomorrow than it is today and set new standards in the industry.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Hill+Knowlton Strategies does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, creed, color, age, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, national origin, or ancestry.