Senior Account Director
Hill+Knowlton Strategies, Canada’s leading strategic communications consultancy, is seeking a Senior Account Director to join our growing Toronto Public Affairs team.
This role will also help ensure our group meets its financial objectives, including ensuring profitability, maintaining market profile and cultivating new business opportunities to grow the practice. The ideal candidate will also have established networks with government and the private sector. Prior agency experience is not mandatory but is preferred.
The position will be responsible for providing strategic government relations and advocacy counsel for a diverse portfolio of client accounts, ensuring that client satisfaction is maintained at the highest level. You will apply strategic thinking and oversight to client programs, deploy the firm’s resources to achieve client objectives, monitor client projects on a day-to-day basis and work as part of a team, mentoring and networking with your peer group.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Creating and executing comprehensive government relations, advocacy, communications, and stakeholder engagement plans that support our clients’ business objectives
- Exercising creativity and problem-solving to devise innovative strategies to address potentially complex client issues or public affairs challenges
- Counselling clients on government relations responses and messaging related to crises and issue developments
- Crafting compelling, engaging and well-informed messages and advocacy materials including briefing notes, backgrounders, fact sheets, position papers, submissions, presentations, and responses to requests for proposals)
- Leveraging existing relationships with an established network of political/governmental officials and developing additional contacts where needed to allow for expert analysis and insights into current political issues and policy priorities
- Working in an integrated way with Sector Leads, Specialty Experts and other leaders across the business to provide integrated support and service
- Participating in new business development strategies to cultivate new client opportunities, \enjoy pitching and winning new clients
- Exploring digital advocacy and social media tools to benefit clients, potential clients and the agency
- Complying with all relevant lobbyist registration legislation and regulations
- Measuring and reviewing success of H+K programs for clients against stated goals
- Managing profitability of accounts and/or performance and utilization of account team
What you will need to get here:
- Minimum 7-10 years’ experience in a communications, public affairs, government or political role; agency experience is a considerable asset
- Post secondary degree in political science, public policy, communications, or similar program
- Sector subject matter expert with strong working knowledge of the industry, trends and relevant stakeholder networks is preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of the Ontario political environment and public policy process; established network of provincial political/government and stakeholder relationships
- Client service mindset with the ability to establish, grow and maintain strong relationships with client contacts; ability to function as a trusted resource and counselor
- Proven ability to provide thoughtful insights and strategic recommendations based on a broad understanding based on the political and policy landscapes to achieve clients’ objectives with government stakeholders
- Experience in managing multiple client programs and budgets, leading account teams, and coaching and mentoring staff
- Strong project and budget management skills, ability to delegate and prioritize
- Entrepreneurial spirit motivated and able to identify and secure new business opportunities
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communications skills; bilingualism is an asset
- Collaborative approaching to working with a high-performing team
Currently all H+K employees are working remote until our offices re-open
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is dedicated to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. If you require any accommodation during the recruitment process, please reach out to us.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada (H+K) is a public relations and public affairs consultancy providing services to local, multinational and global clients from its eight offices across the country.
The firm works with clients to solve complex communications challenges and deliver award winning campaigns and is focused on continued innovation for the industry. H+K offers deep sector knowledge and breadth of public relations and public affairs expertise including specialists in health + wellness, technology, government + public sector, energy + industrials, consumer packaged goods, financial + professional services, food + drink, retail + leisure and sports.
Globally, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Inc., has offices in more than 40 countries as well as an extensive associate network; and it is a member of WPP (NASDAQ: WPPGY), one of the world’s largest communications services groups.