Senior Creative Strategist
Background to the role:
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is an international public relations company with over 85 offices around the world.
We believe that every corporate, every brand, every client has a public and today’s public is more powerful than ever before. They have the power to topple CEO’s, reshape corporate and brand strategy, kill products and create unicorns. Today’s public demands truth, transparency and the highest behavioral standards.
Our client obsession means constantly evolving new products + services to help brands and the public communicate. Always in beta.
At H+K our belief is that the agency is a canvas for everyone to write their own story. This job description is written at a moment in time; whatever role you take at H+K we expect you to evolve that role; it should be different tomorrow than it is today and set new standards in the industry.
Our business combines 10 vertical sectors focused on deep industry knowledge with a number of specialist areas that work horizontally across those sectors. One of areas if specialist expertise is our Creative Strategy and we intend to develop this expertise further on the West Coast.
We would like a Creative Strategist to become a vocal and influential voice for the Creative Strategy team across the agency. This role will be the equivalent to the Senior Account Manager level, with 5-7 years of experience and will report into the VP of Creative Strategy.
Role and Responsibilities
The ideal Creative Strategist has 5-7 years agency experience, comes from a Strategic Planner or Strategist background and will work with the VP, Creative Strategy to execute all elements of strategy across all accounts as well as new business efforts.
- Unstoppably curious
- Strategic with a heavy creative lean
- Agile enough to work across several accounts/brands at the same time
- Persistent and vocal, not afraid to speak up and give a POV
- Highly collaborative but also okay to fly solo
- A thinker and a doer
- A culture and trends sponge
- A contributor to team morale
- A lifelong learner
- Research: You will have extensive experience in what we call “smart” research. Whether through primary or secondary, knowing what questions and hypotheses will get you to the stickiest insights is crucial. Sometimes you’ll be partnering with the research team and should know how to provide a juicy research brief and/or be able to dive in alongside them and help where needed. We don’t like to boil the ocean, so finding the right balance of audit vs analysis is important.
- Insight development: You’ll learn our process and become a master of it – especially in the realm of insights. You should have experience in writing fresh insights based on research, industry knowledge, human behavior and other stimuli that lead to great work. You should also have the listening skills of a therapist – hearing a tension or an insight-in-hiding just waiting to be pulled out of a group brainstorm or conversation.
- Ideation: Our Creative Strategy team and the Creative development team work together closely. You should be able to bridge the distance between strategy and creative and be able to flex the ideation muscle. Coming up with platforms, campaigns, tactics, messaging should all be within your wheelhouse.
- New Business: You’ll have experience leading or co-leading pitches from a creative perspective. Often times we’ll balance more than one pitch while working across several accounts so being able to brain-flex from one brief to another in a day is important.
- Client management: You’ll be interacting with clients and should be able to sell in creative strategy as well as ideas. You’ll have experience in managing tough clients who push back and question the work, ultimately being able to coach them in the right direction or pivot where needed.
- Writing and presentation skills: What’s a story if no one can understand it? You should be able to write up an approach, insights, or creative frameworks easily and should be able to present comfortably to senior internal teams as well as clients. Extreme attention to detail, an understanding of storytelling techniques and creative writing should all be your bread and butter.
Additional desired attributes: We expect the team to always be turning over every rock, reading the latest trend news, keeping up with brand/marketing and social culture and genuinely wondering “what’s next” and “where can I help out”. We’re an extremely close team made up of people across different backgrounds who are all genuinely passionate about the work, from top to bottom, and are always willing to lend a hand, brain, idea or dad joke (when needed).