Regional MNAO Public Relations Consultant
This is an opportunity to provide part-time public relations counsel support to Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) in Huntsville, Alabama.
Mazda and Toyota established the new joint-venture company “Mazda Toyota Manufacturing, U.S.A., Inc.” (MTM) in November 2017. The plant will open later in 2021 and will produce up to 150,000 units of a future Mazda crossover vehicle. MTMUS will create up to 4,000 jobs plus employment opportunities through its suppliers. The facility will also build a yet-to-be-announced Toyota SUV.
MNAO opened its Huntsville office in 2019. This office is overseeing the production of the vehicle that will be built at MTM, including parts procurement, logistics, quality assurance, and production engineering, as well as engaging in the community in Huntsville and North Alabama.
- Partner with multiple stakeholders, including MTM leadership, Mazda’s Huntsville field office, local government officials, local media and the business community, to further Mazda’s agenda in the market.
- Provide MNAO with regular on-the-ground counsel and insights
- Work with local media to secure
stories about announcements, economic growth and corporate citizenship programs. Collaborate with the MNAO communications team to prepare spokespeople on the ground for interviews.
- Provide immediate, on-the-ground counsel and insights during times of volatility or emerging crises that require attention and response.
- Leverage relationships with the local Chamber of Commerce and other community organizations to understand their key initiatives and how Mazda fits into the business landscape in Huntsville.
- Approximately 10 hours per week, with flexibility needed during key moments (MTM grand opening, other facilities-related events, issues management, etc.)
Key existing relationships:
- Local media
- Local government officials
- Local civic and business organizations
Key relationships to build:
- MTM leadership
- MTM communications lead
- MNAO Huntsville leadership
- Key partners related to MTM operations, as needed
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Deep understanding of local media relations environment and successful history with media relations strategy, story placement and crisis management. Manufacturing experience a plus.
- Deep understanding of influential civic organizations in Huntsville and the North Alabama region and relationships with those who lead them.
- High level of comfort working with a multi-cultural team
- Experience building rapport and establishing influence with different stakeholders