Senior Consultant, Technology Communications
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is looking for a dynamic Senior Consultant specializing in media relations join our Toronto technology communications team. This represents an exciting opportunity to manage and execute media relations programs for some of the most well-respected and compelling technology brands in Canada.
Our ideal candidate is a self-starter with an excellent track record of providing smart client counsel and ability to take the lead on large, integrated communications programs. You are a media relations expert, with experience building and executing strategic media strategies for client programs, and relationships with national, local and trade media outlets. In addition to experience working with technology brands, you have an appetite for learning about what’s new and notable in consumer and enterprise technology, with a talent for breaking down difficult concepts into succinct storylines. You’re constantly looking for the next media opportunity, with a knack for thinking creatively to shape stories that will resonate with target outlets. We are looking for not only incredible talent, but also great attitude, energy and passion for the H+K brand and our clients.
Our people bring their individualism and creativity to work every day and love what they do. Hill+Knowlton Strategies Toronto +YOU, together.
Here’s what you’d be doing:
- Being part of a team that provides strategic recommendations, generates fresh, smart ideas and provides counsel for a portfolio of influential technology companies
- Serving as a subject matter expert in consumer, enterprise and B2B technology, understanding our client’s business and helping to identify and shape storylines that build brand profile with their target audience
- Leading earned media strategy, building and maintaining relationships with key media contacts, identifying creative storylines and successfully securing earned media coverage across technology trade, industry vertical, business and consumer press
- Recognizing and creating compelling content to proactively pitch to media and reactively as needed, based on what’s going on in the industry
- Helping oversee junior team members, delegating tasks, executing client initiatives, ensuring client satisfaction and anticipating needs and potential issues as they arise
- Serving as a point of quality control, reviewing and editing written materials to ensure high quality and precision in client deliverables
- Exercising your creativity and strategic thinking in account management and planning
- Contributing creativity, passion and expertise to an entrepreneurial team environment where everyone’s voice is heard, highly valued and rewarded
What else is in it for you?
- Full health benefits package—including healthy paid time off, schedule flexibility, fitness reimbursement, and more
- Employee referral bonus
- A career working with and influencing a diverse portfolio of influential technology companies
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best
- A passionate, smart, fun, and creative office culture
What you’ll need to get here:
- 5-7 years’ experience in a communications role (prior agency/consulting experience a must)
- Experience working with consumer and B2B technology clients; enterprise experience an asset
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited post-secondary educational institution
- Strong media relations skills with a proven track record of success building and maintaining journalist relationships and securing earned media coverage
- Natural curiosity and genuine passion for storytelling
- Creative thinker and problem solver with a passion for the technology space
- Ability to provide strategy/execute on creative content; able to create compelling content to secure proactive media stories
- Experience managing rapid response and reactive media relations programs
- Superb project management skills with the ability to work independently and move campaigns forward from concept to execution
- Excellent writing abilities; able to tell a story with a clear message and brand voice
- Client service focus with strong bias for action and account management skills; ability to build trust and rapport with client contacts, track budgets and satisfy deliverables to the highest standards
- People management skills with the ability to delegate, prioritize and help keep junior staff motivated and on task
- High attention to detail
- True team player with a can-do mindset and positive attitude
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Globally, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Inc., has offices in more than 40 countries as well as an extensive associate network; and it is a member of WPP (NASDAQ: WPPGY), one of the world’s largest communications services groups.