Account Director/ Senior Director - Health
Hill+Knowlton Strategies Western Canada team has an exciting opportunity for an Account Director to join our team based out of Vancouver. Take your career to the next level with a global network of energized experts, working across a diverse roster of health sector clients, including the pharmaceutical industry, NGOs, health providers and health professional associations.
We are the first and only large agency to structure itself around sectors to deliver deep industry insights, supported by specialist areas of ideas and strategy, public affairs and advocacy, and content creation and publishing. Everyone in our agency is expected to constantly evolve, adding to their skills and setting a new standard in the industry for their role.
Our ideal candidate will be responsible for providing strategic government relations and advocacy for our Health client accounts, and for ensuring that client satisfaction is maintained at the highest level. This role will also help ensure our group meets its financial objectives, including ensuring profitability, maintaining market profile and cultivating new business opportunities to grow the practice.
Here’s what you’d be doing:
- Creating and executing comprehensive government relations, advocacy, communications, and stakeholder engagement plans that support our health sector clients’ business objectives – from disease awareness and advocacy campaigns to funding proposals to policy change
- Applying strategic thinking and direction to client programs, deploying the firm’s resources to achieve client objectives, monitoring client projects on a day-to-day basis and working as part of a team
- Exercising creativity and problem-solving to devise innovative strategies to address potentially complex client issues or public affairs challenges
- Counselling clients on government relations responses and messaging related to crises and issue developments
- Crafting compelling, engaging and well-informed messages and advocacy materials including briefing notes, backgrounders, fact sheets, position papers, submissions, presentations, and responses to requests for proposals
- Leveraging existing relationships with an established network of political/governmental officials and health system stakeholders and developing additional contacts where needed to allow for expert analysis and insights into current political issues and policy priorities
- Working in an integrated way with Sector Leads, Specialty Experts and other leaders across the business to provide integrated support and service
- Participating in new business development strategies to cultivate new client opportunities, enjoy pitching and winning new clients
- Exploring digital advocacy and social media tools to benefit clients, potential clients and the agency
- Complying with all relevant lobbyist registration legislation and regulations
- Measuring and reviewing success of H+K programs for clients against stated goals
- Managing profitability of accounts and/or performance and utilization of account teams
What else is in it for you?
- Full health benefits package—including healthy paid time off, schedule flexibility, fitness reimbursement, and more
- A career working with and influencing bold, creative teams and client accounts
- A passionate, smart, fun, and creative team culture
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best
- Flexible working model with the option to be in our Vancouver office, work remotely, or a combination of the two
What you’ll need to get here:
- Minimum 8 to 10 years’ experience in a communications, public affairs, government, or political role; health experience is required
- Post secondary degree in political science, public policy, communications, or similar program, or a commensurate combination of education and experience
- Subject matter expert with strong working knowledge of the healthcare industry, trends and health system stakeholders
- Demonstrated understanding of the provincial political environment and public policy process
- An established network of government and health sector stakeholder relationships
- Knowledge of federal political environment and public policy process an asset
- Client service mindset with the ability to establish, grow and maintain strong relationships with client contacts; ability to function as a trusted resource and counselor
- Proven ability to provide thoughtful insights and strategic recommendations based on a broad understanding based on the political and policy landscapes to achieve clients’ objectives with government stakeholders
- Experience in managing multiple programs and budgets, leading account teams, and coaching and mentoring staff
- Strong project and budget management skills, ability to delegate and prioritize
- Entrepreneurial spirit motivated and able to identify and secure new business opportunities
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communications skills
- Collaborative approaching to working with a high-performing team
- Passion, enthusiasm and tenacity for the H+K brand
Your health and safety is of paramount importance. Currently all H+K employees are working remote until our offices re-open and after that point we are moving to a hybrid working model where staff can choose to work in office, remotely, or a combination of the two.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is dedicated to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. If you require any accommodation needs during the recruitment process, please reach out to us.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada (H+K) is a public relations and public affairs consultancy providing services to local, multinational and global clients from its eight offices across the country.
The firm works with clients to solve complex communications challenges and deliver award winning campaigns and is focused on continued innovation for the industry. H+K offers deep sector knowledge and breadth of public relations and public affairs expertise including specialists in health + wellness, technology, government + public sector, energy + industrials, consumer packaged goods, financial + professional services, food + drink, retail + leisure and sports.
Globally, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Inc., has offices in more than 40 countries as well as an extensive associate network; and it is a member of WPP (NASDAQ: WPPGY), one of the world’s largest communications services groups.