Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada is looking for an Administrative Assistant to support our CEO in Toronto and work closely with our leadership, administration, and client-facing teams both nationally and globally.
This role requires the ability to prioritize a high volume of important and confidential information and accomplish a range of complex activities simultaneously, ensuring every priority reaches the finish line. Precise attention to detail—coupled with intuitive problem-solving and superior communication skills—is required.
While organizational expertise and rigour form the foundation of the Administrative Assistant position, successful applicants will also bring passion and a discerning eye to event planning and creative projects, acting as the eyes and ears of the CEO to make important (and exciting!) decisions around the look and feel of our materials and celebrations. This role requires deep familiarity with both the needs of the CEO and the broader operations, services, and values of the company.
Here’s what you will be doing:
- Communicate with H+K staff, clients, and other key stakeholders on the CEO’s behalf, working collaboratively with other national and global assistants to facilitate.
- Plan, design, budget, and execute events and projects (such a mail-outs, gifts) on behalf of the CEO
- Coordinate with national team members to facilitate CEO participation and feedback when requested, providing the CEO with necessary context and timeline details
- Assist the CEO with daily administrative duties involving a broad variety of tasks that include managing an active and frequently changing calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries and agendas and compiling documents for meetings
- Draft reports, presentations, charts with adherence to the company’s brand guidelines; prepare and coordinate oral and written communication (including meeting minutes) with internal and external parties at all levels
- Coordinate and manage internal and external events such as Town Halls and client meetings, overseeing all scheduling, communication, technology, catering, logistics and related follow-up activities.
- Liaise directly with senior members of WPP, maintaining confidential files and contact information, coordinating meetings, conferences and committees both on and off site to support the CEO’s agenda.
- Coordinate logistics and assigned action item follow-up for executive team
- Support the CEO in external commitments related to H+K, including service on external clients, committees, and other groups.
What you’ll need to get here:
Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience with an interest in national and global issues.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Three or more years of experience providing support for executive-level management in a client service organization.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, clients and external vendors.
- Ability to use intuition and judgement to connect the dots on tasks with minimal direction
- Business acumen and an interest in the communications industry
- An adaptive sense of style and interest in producing events and projects that surprise and delight
- Driven to diplomatically and constructively ensure objectives are met.
- Proficiency in Windows, including MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to conduct research and present data in a succinct and well-written manner.
- Ability to work independently and with professional discretion.
- Excellent writing, editing, grammatical, organizational and research skills.
- Ability to work with a broad range of people globally, with cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Excellent management, time-management and problem-solving skills.
- Occasionally work flexible hours, including the occasional weekend, early morning or evening hours as the CEO’s travel or schedule requires
- Intuition and emotional intelligence are key to this role. An ability to think laterally, anticipate and plan for changes; to be one step ahead at all times. Able to pivot frequently and create seamless transitions so the schedule runs smoothly.
- Keeping on top of the CEO’s to-do’s and recognizing shifting priorities, flagging items, and following up as needed and instinctively anticipating next steps.
- Immediately recognize a diverse set of situations and appropriately flex one’s working, and communication style or tone based on the changing and diverse needs of the receiving party, including other c-level executives, board members, and senior clients and candidates. In this way, be an extension of the CEO and H+K.
What else is in it for you?
- Competitive benefits package
- A career working with and influencing a diverse portfolio of influential consumer brand clients
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best
The health and wellbeing of our employees is a priority. Although we have recently re-opened our offices under strict COVID-19 protocols, coming to the office is completely voluntary for now. All H+K employees have the option of working remote or in a hybrid model of both in-office and remote
About Hill+Knowlton Strategies
With eight offices across the country, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada is a leader in both public relations and public affairs. Headquartered in Toronto, the company is the No. 1-rated strategic communications firm in the country. Its experts specialize in corporate communications, marketing communications, public affairs, citizen engagement, crisis, energy, technology, health care, content marketing, research and measurement, social and digital communications, financial communications and transactions. The only communications firm to have earned the Canada Order of Excellence for Quality from Excellence Canada, it has been recognized as one of the Best Workplaces in Canada for 11 consecutive years. Its parent company, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Inc., has 86 offices in more than 47 countries as well as an extensive associate network; and it is a member of WPP (NASDAQ: WPPGY), one of the world’s largest communications services groups.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Hill+Knowlton Strategies does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, creed, color, age, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, national origin, or ancestry.
H+K welcomes and encourage applications from people with disabilities, as such reasonable accommodations are available upon request from a candidate with disabilities, thus ensuring you can take part in all aspects of the recruitment process. If you feel you need accommodation, please do not hesitate to contact the P+C team at [email protected]