Managing Director, Health
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is an international public relations company with over 85 offices around the world.
We believe that every corporation, every brand, every client has a public and today’s public is more powerful than ever before. They have the power to topple CEO’s, reshape corporate and brand strategy, kill products and create unicorns. Today’s public demands truth, transparency and the highest behavioral standards.
Our client obsession means constantly evolving new products + services to help brands and the public communicate. Always in beta.
At H+K our belief is that the agency is a canvas for everyone to write their own story. This job description is written at a moment in time; whatever role you take at H+K we expect you to evolve that role; it should be different tomorrow than it is today and set new standards in the industry.
Join our team and harness the power of the public.
We are searching for a Managing Director to provide leadership within our US Health Sector. This role will be based in our New York headquarters. As an executive leader within the firm, you will develop and execute the strategic growth plan for the US Health Practice with a focus on client service, new business and team development.
At H+K, our clients are everything. Our blue-chip healthcare client work includes pharma, growing NGOs, biotech, government, product/brand support, corporate image management as well as crisis preparedness and response. As a senior leader, you will serve an integral role in retaining, servicing and expanding those trusted client relationships, while identifying and executing strategies to attract and win new business.
Omnipresence is our goal. You will create new practice opportunities, serving as a subject matter expert and thought leader, elevating the H+K health brand in the market.
As a people first organization, our colleagues are the key to our success. As a senior leader you will help attract and retain key talent, identify succession and development opportunities and strategically grow the team in New York and beyond.
You will be the architect of the structure, focus and strategic positioning of H+K’s Health Practice as we embark on an aggressive growth strategy and transformation agenda that will position H+K as the elite agency for public relations services within health. You will be responsible for driving revenue and profitability growth for the sector.
As such, this role demands a seasoned business professional and client leader, capable of balancing strategic thinking, planning, project and process management, operations and execution with exceptional communications capabilities and proven problem-solving skills.
In addition, you will leverage your experience managing a P+L and integrating acquisitions, while driving change and implementing best practices within a collaborative and high-functioning team. As a senior leader within H+K, you will work closely with senior leaders across the H+K global network, including our Global Leadership Committee (GLC).
- Manage a high-performing team, identifying opportunities for growth, development and collaboration
- Assess the team structure and capabilities and take action to close any gaps while promoting strengths
- Actively partner with key health (and beyond) leaders within both WPP and H+K’s national and global network
- Drive growth for key existing accounts while building a strong bench of new clients through flawless business development, particularly in the life-sciences sector
- Develop an annual marketing plan for the health sector in part by establishing new business targets and a coordinated prospecting plan that ensures we have the best resources available in key markets
- Maintain a strong understanding of H+K’s positioning in the global marketplace and present a strong point of view on strategies and tactics to drive improvement
- Build an omnipresent position in the market, promoting H+K within health conferences, social feeds, events, publications and other channels as a subject matter expert in the sector
- Serve as a trusted advisor to client leads, providing guidance and direction based on issues relevant to the client organization
- Manage complex health programs and provide strategic direction in challenging situations
- Exemplify best practices for client service, engagement and proposals
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in different disciplines and geographical regions
- Act as a thoughtful, inspiring, and engaging leader, serving as both mentor and champion of the health team
Skills and Qualifications:
- BA/BS in a communications, public relations, journalism or related experience; agency experience required
- At least 10 years’ experience leading public relations strategies at the senior level within the health sector
- Pharmaceutical/bioscience experience a must; corporate work leading communications strategies within a health corporation a plus
- Proven ability to identify and secure new business
- Track record of success driving exponential revenue, team, and client growth strategies
- Deep health sector expertise with a robust network of industry contacts and key media relationships
- Experience identifying acquisition opportunities; ability to successfully integrate teams, practices and operations post acquisition
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- A quick thinker, collaborative and entrepreneurial
- Strong sense of ownership for their firm, teams and clients; responsible and principled
- Superb financial and business acumen; deep understanding of key business drivers and performance levers
- Excellent executive communicator in both written and verbal form
- Proven ability to accurately manage complex, cross-functional projects on time and within budget
- Natural mentor and talent-focused leader with the ability to identify top talent, groom and grow existing talent based on strengths and bring a positive market reputation to attract new health talent
- Willingness to travel extensively and internationally, work outside of normal business hours and report to our office five days a week
- Capacity to be aware of, control, and express your emotions; able to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically
- Fluent in all tools of MSFT Office, with exceptional Excel and PowerPoint skills