Account Director, Public Affairs
Here’s what you’d be doing:
- Developing and nurturing strong relationships with clients at all levels and capitalizing on large and complex opportunities with existing and new clients.
- Writing annual and project-based government relations and advocacy plans with input from subject matter experts and other sources
- Editing and writing engaging and well-informed materials (briefing notes, backgrounders, fact sheets, whitepapers, Q&A, presentations, responses to requests for proposals)
- Monitoring government, industry and sector landscapes on clients’ behalf
- Counseling clients on government relations messages related to crises and issues
- Creating and maintaining productive relationships with government and industry stakeholders and clients (includes networking and attending firm-related and political functions)
- Delivering persuasive presentations at client meetings and new business pitches
- Complying with lobby registration process as per jurisdiction
- Conducting account and project audits
- Ensuring programs are implemented in timely, cost-effective and relevant ways
- Managing profitability for accounts and/or performance and utilization of account teams
- Measuring and reviewing success of H+K programs for clients against stated goals
- Exploring new media sources, social media tools, and voicing on issues to discover their possible impact on clients, potential clients and the firm
- Exploring and pursuing external business opportunities and interests to generate ideas and connecting with potential clients
- Full health benefits package—including healthy paid time off, schedule flexibility, fitness reimbursement, and more
- A career working with and influencing bold, creative teams and client accounts
- A passionate, smart, fun, and creative office culture
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best
What you’ll need to get here:
- Minimum 8 to 10 years’ experience working in government or public affairs or communications in a public affairs environment
- Degree in Political Science, Communications, Journalism or Public Relations
- Experience in municipal affairs, health or technology sectors considered an asset
- Demonstrated ability to develop messages and materials for government officials
- Ability to monitor and analyze ongoing developments of relevance to clients
- Solid experience in planning and delivering broadly based communications and public relations programs to support objectives of clients or of an organization
- Experience leading account teams, coaching and mentoring staff
- Proven ability to manage multiple client activities, programs and budgets
- Highly motivated and able to identify and secure new business opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to establish internal and external partnerships
- Applies creative thinking and problem-solving to client and firm challenges
- A developed ability to provide strategic advice
- Multi-tasks to manage multiple client demands and deploy firm’s resources appropriately
- Has an established network in the local business and stakeholder community.
- Strong project and budget management skills, ability to delegate and prioritize
- The ability to meet deadlines and prioritize
- Passion, tenacity and enthusiasm for the H+K brand
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is dedicated to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. If you require any accommodation needs during the recruitment process, please reach out to us.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our relationship with WPP — one of the world’s largest communications groups — gives us an unmatched worldwide presence and a deep bench, including our own strategic partnerships and acquisitions. We create ideas to believe in.